• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Four O-34's under sail

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In Portland there are 4 of the 39 Olson 34's that were built by EY, 1988 - 1990.

My friend Dan emailed me last week to say that he had convinced the other two that moor near him to all go out for a group sail and also had a friend with a "photo boat" coming along. This was last Thursday evening.
Winds were pretty good for this time of year, at about 8 to 18 kts, constantly varying up n down. The others all race regularly and had their larger overlapping genoas up (about 150%, I would guess). We have a 97%.
Sure enough we slowly fell behind at the start, only holding on to them in the sustained gusts. I could whine that we were probably the one only one with a fixed 3-blade prop, too, but every loser has an excuse.... :)

It was not a "race" per se, but we formed up at the regular starting nav. buoy and sailed to weather downriver to another rounding mark (buoy). It was outrageous fun. I had a couple of sailing buddies crewing with me, and the 80 degree windy evening was 99% perfect.
:D
We all headed back in just about dark.
Since our relaunch in April, I have been putting the boat back together, but do not have the spinnaker and gear on board yet. Off wind, the others hoisted chutes and slowly sailed away from us. Broad reaching with main and small jib was just not as fast.

The photographer, Barbara, just forwarded some pix and the OK to share them.
We are the boat with the smaller jib and bimini, of course.... but also with refrigeration and cold microbrews. So There!

Attachments

• O-34 weather leg.jpg
    O-34 weather leg.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 81
  • O-34 off wind leg.jpg
    O-34 off wind leg.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 76
  • O-34 starting line.jpg
    O-34 starting line.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 73
  • O-34 drive to weather.jpg
    O-34 drive to weather.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 74
  • O-34 chutes up.jpg
    O-34 chutes up.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 71
  • Two Olson's weather rounding.jpg
    Two Olson's weather rounding.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 69
  • O-34 ready to hoist.jpg
    O-34 ready to hoist.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 65
  • O-34 Breakaway chute.jpg
    O-34 Breakaway chute.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 77
  • O-34 us, to weather.jpg
    O-34 us, to weather.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Dan Petrin

In Portland there are 4 of 38 survivors of the 39 Olson 34's that were built by EY, 1988 - 1990. (One was destroyed some years ago in a hurricane.)

My friend Dan emailed me last week to say that he had convinced the other two that moor near him to all go out for a group sail and also had a friend with a "photo boat" to come along. This was last Thursday evening.
Winds were pretty good for this time of year, at about 8 to 18 kts, constantly varying up n down. The others all race quite a bit and had their larger overlapping genoas up (about 150%, I would guess). We have out 97%.
Sure enough we slowly fell behind at the start, only holding on to them in the sustained gusts. I could whine that we were probably the one only one with a fixed 3-blade prop, too, but every loser has an excuse.... :)

It was not a "race" per se, but we formed up at the regular starting nav. buoy and sailed to weather downriver to another regular rounding mark (buoy). It was outrageous fun. I had a couple of sailing buddies crewing with me, and the 80 degree windy evening was 99% perfect.
:D
We all headed back in just about dark.
Since our relaunch in April, I have been putting the boat back together, but do not have the spinnaker and gear on board yet. Off wind, the others hoisted chutes and slowly sailed away from us. Broad reaching with main and small jib was just not as fast.

Their photographer, Barbara, just forwarded some pix and the OK to share them.
We are the boat with the smaller jib and bimini, of course.... but also with refrigeration and cold microbrews. So There!
That was a blast Loren, have been waiting 3 years for the opportunity to get the 4 of us out there at the same time with some good wind. We are planning to participate in a "one design race" on the 19th if all goes as planned. Should be fun with 3 of 34's out there with a bunch of sport boats flying around.

CTOlsen

Member III
Looks like a good time.. Thanks for sharing the pix. All the boats look to be well maintained.