• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Free Deck Fill Caps

Gline

Member I
One of my original deck fill caps on my 1984 e38 broke and since replacing it seemed virtually impossible, I just finished installing all new fittings. So I now have 4 intact caps, 1 broken cap, 3 water fittings, 1 waste fitting, 1 diesel fitting and 2 somewhat intact of rubber gaskets for under the fittings. Let me know who needs them.

Side note, I’d recommend considering replacing your fittings also. On my 38, when originally installed by Ericson the core was not protected at all. The damage wasn’t too extensive but a few fittings had allowed water to creep into the core, could get nasty if left for a few more years. I’ve got her all fixed up nice and it’s not too painful of a job.

Mark

Filkee

Sustaining Member
I've re-bedded mine but they do not twist well. Assuming they're the same on a 32-3. I would definitely be interested.

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
if you still have the waste cap I’d take it off your hands. planned to change the fitting last winter but Covid had other plans.

Thaddeus

Member II
Dropped diesel cap overboard last season. After a long search I finally had the yard replace the the deck fill for $162.00. Ouch. But it is now the newest , brightest piece on the boat.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Arrived today. Hope to try them out tomorrow if the rain let’s up.

and I thank you.

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
how does the little chain attach to the fitting ( chain that is attached to the cap ) ?

enrique

I have replaced all of my hardware except the fuel. Trying to figure out how to reach the hose clamps..Feeling awkward

Lakewood

I could use a diesel cap if you still have it. If not, I’m going to try casting a copy of my water cap and change the designation.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I could use a diesel cap if you still have it. If not, I’m going to try casting a copy of my water cap and change the designation.
Hmmm - I wonder if deck fill caps would be a good application for 3D printing? made with the right sort of UV-stable plastic, with the correct thread, and perhaps an attachment loop for the keeper-chain, they'd be a winner for me.

Lakewood

Let me know what happens if you get a chance to test print a fill cap. Sounds like a great idea. I’ll try casting mine this winter and post the results. I’ll try a few at a time, in aluminum and bronze. Those are not hard metals.

A plastic filler cap that floated would be a winner. I’d test one out.

Lakewood

One of my original deck fill caps on my 1984 e38 broke and since replacing it seemed virtually impossible, I just finished installing all new fittings. So I now have 4 intact caps, 1 broken cap, 3 water fittings, 1 waste fitting, 1 diesel fitting and 2 somewhat intact of rubber gaskets for under the fittings. Let me know who needs them.

Side note, I’d recommend considering replacing your fittings also. On my 38, when originally installed by Ericson the core was not protected at all. The damage wasn’t too extensive but a few fittings had allowed water to creep into the core, could get nasty if left for a few more years. I’ve got her all fixed up nice and it’s not too painful of a job.

Mark
Great post, thanks for offering those caps. The casting was a fail. I’ll try the 3D printer

Lakewood

I did not try the mold. Experts in the process suggested that the threads were going to be a problem. Reason number one is that cutting and pouring the wax copy would leave a seam on the threads that would require attention with a dreml. Reason number two is that the whole thing will shrink in the process by about 3%. The sand molds would be rough at best and thats enough to change my mind about casting the cap.

AST this point Im going to stick something in the hole until I can find a replacement like we did last season or just switch out the fittings for a new one. Thats another thing Ive never done before.