• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fresh water in bilge but where is it coming from?

galmvig

Member I
I'm a new owner of a 1987 Ericson 28. I have a question regarding fresh water accumulating in the bilge. After a heavy snow I noticed my bilge was nearly full with fresh water. I pumped the water out and checked it again a few days later and found quite a bit of water again. We've had lots of rain as well and I can't figure out where the water is coming from. I'm beginning to wonder if I have a leak in one of the 2 water tanks on board. There now is only a little water in the bilge (1/4") which I sponge out only to find 1/4" in a few days later. Does anyone have any ideas of where the water may be coming from? I checked the scuppers in the cockpit and they don't seem to be leaking. Thanks for your ideas in advance.

Geoff

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I'm a new owner of a 1987 Ericson 28. I have a question regarding fresh water accumulating in the bilge. After a heavy snow I noticed my bilge was nearly full with fresh water. I pumped the water out and checked it again a few days later and found quite a bit of water again. We've had lots of rain as well and I can't figure out where the water is coming from. I'm beginning to wonder if I have a leak in one of the 2 water tanks on board. There now is only a little water in the bilge (1/4") which I sponge out only to find 1/4" in a few days later. Does anyone have any ideas of where the water may be coming from? I checked the scuppers in the cockpit and they don't seem to be leaking. Thanks for your ideas in advance.

Geoff
I went through this. You could dump your water tanks to eliminate that variable, but even after this I found a half a pint of water per week (but varying) coming in from the base of my mast probably due to due/moisture from weather (as Christian says). The inexpensive salinity meters can check for fresh/salt water. If you sample it from the bilge, it will be a mix because the bilge contains salt (and maybe salt water from stuffing box or other possible leaks).

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
My guess is that it's coming in from the locker lids. I put some weather stripping along the top inside the lid, but snow melting or a driving rain still brings some in.
You could monitor it by placing some talcum powder in key areas, or even some paper towel pieces to see where it gets wet.
You could check your plumbing connections, but don't over tighten them, especially the grey plastic ones break easily. But I'm still guessing it's the locker lids, as I think you have a deck stepped mast, right? If it's keel stepped, water always comes down the mast.
Frank

galmvig

Member I
I went through this. You could dump your water tanks to eliminate that variable, but even after this I found a half a pint of water per week (but varying) coming in from the base of my mast probably due to due/moisture from weather (as Christian says). The inexpensive salinity meters can check for fresh/salt water. If you sample it from the bilge, it will be a mix because the bilge contains salt (and maybe salt water from stuffing box or other possible leaks).
Thank you for your thoughts on this. If it were to coming from the base of the bottom of the mast I should be able to feel a wet area when I unzip the ceiling liner. It's completely dry. Additionally, I had a rigger recently remove my mast to replace the standing rigging. I covered the mast base with a tarp so no water can get in. So, I don't think it's coming from the mast base.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thank you for your thoughts on this. If it were to coming from the base of the bottom of the mast I should be able to feel a wet area when I unzip the ceiling liner. It's completely dry. Additionally, I had a rigger recently remove my mast to replace the standing rigging. I covered the mast base with a tarp so no water can get in. So, I don't think it's coming from the mast base.
Is the mast on your model stepped on the cabin top or down thru to the cabin sole?

galmvig

Member I
My guess is that it's coming in from the locker lids. I put some weather stripping along the top inside the lid, but snow melting or a driving rain still brings some in.
You could monitor it by placing some talcum powder in key areas, or even some paper towel pieces to see where it gets wet.
You could check your plumbing connections, but don't over tighten them, especially the grey plastic ones break easily. But I'm still guessing it's the locker lids, as I think you have a deck stepped mast, right? If it's keel stepped, water always comes down the mast.
Frank
Thanks for the input Frank. I thought it might be the locker lids too but I think it would be difficult for water to get into the locker since there is a drainage trough flange around the outside of the locker lid that dumps to the cockpit. I suppose its possible though since you had that problem. I checked the scuppers too but there is not signs of leakage. Quite a mystery. I like the talcum powder idea. I'll have to give that a try. It is a deck stepped mast. Thanks for the caution on the grey plastic lines.

Frank Langer

OK. I see - my comment applied to a keel stepped mast which is what I have...The locker lids would be next place I would check if your water system not leaking.
Hi Geoff,
My locker lids also have the grooved area around the inside, but that isn't enough to stop water coming in if there is melting snow or especially driving rain, so it's still my guess that this is where the water is coming in. If you have a week of dry weather, and no additional water in the bilge, that would be telling.
Frank

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
Appreciate seeing another Geoff with good taste in personal watercraft.

Does your boat model have a cockpit "pocket" in the coaming? Some have found that the inner liner there wears loose and water can get in that way. Dorade vents may be suspicious as well.

Welcome to the forums - recommend putting your name, boat model/year and maybe engine model in your forum signature. Helps get the context out there straightaway.

galmvig

Member I
Hi Geoff,
My locker lids also have the grooved area around the inside, but that isn't enough to stop water coming in if there is melting snow or especially driving rain, so it's still my guess that this is where the water is coming in. If you have a week of dry weather, and no additional water in the bilge, that would be telling.
Frank
That makes sense. Thanks for the follow-up on this. I'll do a good investigation.

galmvig

Member I
Appreciate seeing another Geoff with good taste in personal watercraft.

Does your boat model have a cockpit "pocket" in the coaming? Some have found that the inner liner there wears loose and water can get in that way. Dorade vents may be suspicious as well.

Welcome to the forums - recommend putting your name, boat model/year and maybe engine model in your forum signature. Helps get the context out there straightaway.
Thank you for the tips. I'm not sure I know what a cockpit "pocket" in the coaming is. Do you have a picture?

Frank Langer

Geoff, the cockpit pocket in the coaming likely refers to a feature on some boats, but not on many others. It is a cutout part with a small shelf in it that sits in the cockpit in the vertical part that comes up from the seat. The pocket is often just below the winches, and is useful to hold winch handles, sail ties, bungy cords and other small stuff. The bottom shelf on these can leak, so that's likely why it was mentioned in the post above, but as far as I recall, the E28+ does not have them.
Frank

galmvig

Member I
Geoff, the cockpit pocket in the coaming likely refers to a feature on some boats, but not on many others. It is a cutout part with a small shelf in it that sits in the cockpit in the vertical part that comes up from the seat. The pocket is often just below the winches, and is useful to hold winch handles, sail ties, bungy cords and other small stuff. The bottom shelf on these can leak, so that's likely why it was mentioned in the post above, but as far as I recall, the E28+ does not have them.
Frank
Thanks for the explanation Frank. You are correct, the E28+ does not have a cockpit pocket.

mizunoman101

Member I
The mast on our E-35 III is keel stepped. Water comes down the mast constantly when it rains... It is certainly a problem during winter storage (if you have a mild winter) and you get more rain than snow. So, it's important that you get in the boat during the off season to check the bilge. I certainly wish there was a way to stop the water coming down the mast...