• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fresh water pump pulsing

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Back to the boat after a week and I turn on the house fresh water pump panel switch and it is pulsing in and off for short intervals ( less then 1/2 second ) . I can feel the motor on the pump and definitely turning over . Usually it doesn’t come on until I run water in the sink or maybe it comes on once briefly to pressurize the system when it first turns on . When I turn in the sink , the pump then pumps normally ( but will pulse again when you turn it off ) . The pump was replaced about 5 months ago by the diesel mechanic when he serviced my engine. Pump is the popular Sureflow Aqua King . I’m working wondering what is going on ? First thought is maybe there a leak somewhere but can’t find an obvious one .

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
If it as installed only five months ago, it is likely still under warranty. Have you considered phoning Sureflow technical support to see what they say, and maybe if it is defective, they will send you a new one. They are easy to install yourself if you need to replace it. But maybe the tech will have an easy explanation.
Keep us posted on what you find!
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pulsing drove me nuts and all research was confounding. My 35-year-old plastic accumulator tested fine and held its PSI.

But I changed it anyway, installing a new (same) $50 accumulator, and now the pulsing is entirely gone.

Go figure.

Bob Robertson

Member III
We've had our boat since 1988 and have replaced the fresh water pump once, probably 8 years ago and it's been working great ever since.
Initially 8 years ago before we replaced the pump we were having a problem with the pulsing. I found a very small filter near the pump water intake. It was a little plugged up. I cleaned it, the pulsing was better, but it was still pulsing. The pulsing was totally gone after installing the new pump. Also, the pump ran for a much shorter duration when the water was turned on.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
what’s even more interesting is that while it pulses , water trickles from the manual pump faucet ( the U-shaped one ).

Frank Langer

Our pump also has a momentary trickle from the manual / foot pump outlet when the electrical pump operates. That may be normal, not sure.
Frank

Shawn Rodel

38-200 West coast FL.
Back to the boat after a week and I turn on the house fresh water pump panel switch and it is pulsing in and off for short intervals ( less then 1/2 second ) . I can feel the motor on the pump and definitely turning over . Usually it doesn’t come on until I run water in the sink or maybe it comes on once briefly to pressurize the system when it first turns on . When I turn in the sink , the pump then pumps normally ( but will pulse again when you turn it off ) . The pump was replaced about 5 months ago by the diesel mechanic when he serviced my engine. Pump is the popular Sureflow Aqua King . I’m working wondering what is going on ? First thought is maybe there a leak somewhere but can’t find an obvious one .
Take Christian's advice, I had the same issue replaced the accumulator problem gone.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Pulsing drove me nuts and all research was confounding. My 35-year-old plastic accumulator tested fine and held its PSI.

But I changed it anyway, installing the a new (same) $50 accumulator, and now the pulsing is entirely gone.

Go figure.
I have figure out where / what the accumulator is . I don’t recall seeing anything in the plumbing other than the pump itself .

Frank Langer

Not all boats have an accumulator, but it usually a container, metal or plastic, like a small jug, mounted somewhere in the engine room or near the water pump. Pumps still do strange things, with or without an accumulator.
Frank

vanilladuck

E32-3 / San Francisco
Blogs Author
My electric fresh water pump runs continually when I power it at the panel and the faucet off. Sometimes it will eventually stop and then start again when I open the faucet on one of the sinks. I don't think I have an accumulator. I thought maybe there might be a leak somewhere in the plumbing, but I've watched the level of bilge water stay constant after letting the pump run for a while.

Could this be a worn out pump?

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
My electric fresh water pump runs continually when I power it at the panel and the faucet off. Sometimes it will eventually stop and then start again when I open the faucet on one of the sinks. I don't think I have an accumulator. I thought maybe there might be a leak somewhere in the plumbing, but I've watched the level of bilge water stay constant after letting the pump run for a while.

It may be an air leak causing you to lose pressure. Mine will pump a little from time to time. You can induce it by cracking a faucet open just a little bit so there is an air leak.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member

I have since read there might be a pressure adjustment in my pump to change the threshold that it goes on/off. I have not looked into it yet (decided to go sailing yesterday instead :).