• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fuel line Leak Discovered

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The oil-absorbing pad under my 5432 diesel turned red. Oh dear. Red is diesel fuel.

I figured my aft-most injector body had come loose, since fuel seemed to collect there. I brought the special tools required to tighten an injector.

But another test run narrowed the issue down. The leak wasn't the injector at all, but instead the small hose of the fuel return between cylinder 3 and 4. With the engine running it sent a fine spray onto the injector. That was obvious on a paper towel placed there.

Easy fix, if I can find the odd-sized fuel hose. I couldn't, when I took the Kubota size around to boatyards and diesel shops a few years ago, when servicing the injectors.

I'm guessing 1/4" ID, which might be too large. But the Internet source will have it here in one day, and returnable for free.

fuel return leak.JPG

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hard to find. My semi-local Kubota dealer identified the part--#1 on this view.

But Kubota doesn't reveal the hose diameter to the parts counterman. Each piece comes cut, for about $1.50 each. Special order.

I'll try to get the 1/4" to work first.

The key to the part number in my case (Universal 5432) is V1301 (engine block) and tractor model (L345)

kubota.JPG

Bolo

Contributing Partner
The oil-absorbing pad under my 5432 diesel turned red. Oh dear. Red is diesel fuel.

I figured my aft-most injector body had come loose, since fuel seemed to collect there. I brought the special tools required to tighten an injector.

But another test run narrowed the issue down. The leak wasn't the injector at all, but instead the small hose of the fuel return between cylinder 3 and 4. With the engine running it sent a fine spray onto the injector. That was obvious on a paper towel placed there.

Easy fix, if I can find the odd-sized fuel hose. I couldn't, when I took the Kubota size around to boatyards and diesel shops a few years ago, when servicing the injectors.

I'm guessing 1/4" ID, which might be too large. But the Internet source will have it here in one day, and returnable for free.

View attachment 44078
Didn't know that there were special tools required to tighten/remove an injector. What are they and what do they look like? Anything special order for $1.50 is a bargain unless the shipping is $25 or something higher. I've seen that scam before.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Just bigger socket and spanner than I usually keep on board.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Just bigger socket and spanner than I usually keep on board.

I thought that there was some "secret" tool that I didn't know about but I'm fairly sure that I keep that size spanner and large sockets on board. My wife says that I probably have too many tools on board but after seeing you post...How many tools are too many? :)

Teranodon

Member III
I thought that there was some "secret" tool that I didn't know about but I'm fairly sure that I keep that size spanner and large sockets on board. My wife says that I probably have too many tools on board but after seeing you post...How many tools are too many? :)
It is a special tool. The socket is split to allow it to go over the fuel line. Just google "injector wrench".

Too many tools? Huh?

Bolo

Contributing Partner
It is a special tool. The socket is split to allow it to go over the fuel line. Just google "injector wrench".

Too many tools? Huh?
I know...too many tools. What a silly girl my wife is sometimes. Too many shoes?! I'll have to check the injector wrench out and get one because soon or later......

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Seems to me that Tygon 6mm yellow fuel hose fit.

As for tools, using two open end wrenches works. The socket would be required if following the manual and trying to get the perfect torque, but then these were meant to be tractor engines. Get the torque about right on the injector with the 17mm, then hold it while tightening the nut for the line with the smaller open end (iirc 15mm).

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On the 5432 a deep socket doesn't fit over one or more injector bodies, and must be modified. Wrenches alone won't do it.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
The wrenches were not fully seated and it took a little finagling to get in there, but then the injectors are not highly torqued.
Obviously, the rubber line comes off before the wrench can go on the injector itself.
IMG_3663-XL.jpg

20200220_201335-XL.jpg

[Upside down to how installed]

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
The leak wasn't the injector at all, but instead the small hose of the fuel return between cylinder 3 and 4.

If you haven't replaced the long fuel return line to the tank, that's probably worth doing as well. Seems I've read a couple of posts where owners had leaks there, too.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here's the break. Could be a nick prior to install, but who knows?

fuel return hose.JPG
I now recall I installed these return hoses myself several years ago , using stock 1/4 inch fuel line. This week I bought new 1/4", with as it happens a thicker wall thickness.

The nipple is 5 mm. The 1/4"ID hoses work, but don't compress well and the seal, even with hose clamps, is not satisfying. It works temporarily, and would probably heat-conform quickly.

nipple.JPG...quarter inch installed.JPG

But I'm ordering the proper Kubota hoses. As I recall they are a smooth material, stiff, not at all like this rubber, more like the oil vapor line in foreground of the photo above.

RCsailfast

E35-3 Illinois
Ordered the Kubota hose when I ordered injectors and it was the wrong size. Too big. Ordered the hose from Toad marine and got the wrong size hose.
Ended up reusing the painted gold hoses and thankfully no leaks. I know it’s a matter of time before they fail. Hopefully there is a known correct replacement found.

Puget sailor

Member II
Too bad that they are not more like Yanmar’s solution, which is rigid pipes instead of hoses. I guess in theory there is not so much pressure on the return side. “In theory”

phildogginit

Member II
On my universal m25-xp a mechanic replaced the original return line pieces with 3/16" fuel line from Greenline product G611-019. They are long enough that they did not need clamps and do not leak. The pressure on the return side is not high, and open in the fuel tank.