• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fuel Pump running hot

Jenny1987

Recently acquired 35-3 with Universal M-25 engine. It has been stalling out after 30-45 minutes of running. Noticed the primary (lift) pump was running hot. I think it's time to replace. Questions: 1) What is a good replacement pump? 2) Current pump is mounted above the tank, should it be moved to a lower position in engine compartment?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
First, check the oft-ignored little screen filter on the bottom of the OEM Facet Pump. Maybe it's plugged up. (?)
Worth a try, anyway.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am not familiar with that pump.....
Sorry.
Here is a picture from the web of a pump like the stock pump that was in our boat in 1988.

Attachments

• 1106.JPG
    1106.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 3

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I'm not familiar with that pump either but I would replace it with a facet for peace of mind. Have you serviced the fuel filters since you purchased the boat ? If it runs for a while and quits I'm going to guess there is some gunk in one of the filters that settles to the bottom when engine is off and then works its way up to block the flow when running. Is the pump still running after the engine dies ?Do you have to prime the engine after it stalls out ?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Another thought: if your boat has the OEM copper tubing line from the tank, replacement with modern USCG-stamped reinforced hose is probably overdue. We replaced all of the fuel lines - supply and return - over a decade ago, The old tubing can get partly clogged with dirt and guck from the fuel, over many years.

jtsai

Member III
Does the engine restart after priming? If so, check the fuel level in the Racor filter unit when return to boat next time (before start the engine). If the fuel level (after removed filter cartridge) is lower than the in/out flow ports, then you may have a comprised check valve seal. My assumption is the lift pump has to work harder to draw fuel through partly fueled Racor filter. Just a wild guess base on my recent experience.