• Untitled Document
    The turkey is finally gone and you know what that means...

Welcome to EY.o 2021-2022 Fund Raising Season!

This is the time of year we come to you to help support the website. Updated information on the hows and whys of fundraising may be found in the post below.

Thank you for your continued support of EricsonYachts.org!

Notice on 2021-2022 Fund Raising

Fuel system check (suggestions ?)

Second Star

Member III
Although the color is black or brown rather than red or "other", the crack case vent line can add small amounts of oil into the bilge if it is not connected to a collection bottle or the air filter ...

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
As far as checking the bottom of the tank for leaks, there was a 1X4" board across the edges of the two tanks on my boat, poorly secured, fuel and waste tanks. Remove that board. Try to get your hand in between with a clean white paper towel. If not (probably not), get a skinny yardstick and tape a clean white papertowel securely around the end. Keep it thin and clean. Then, insert in between tanks as a "probe." Any red color extracted? If not, nove it over a bit and try again. Hopefully, no fuel there, especially foreword, inboard corner.
I assume the 1x4 is visible after you remove the board ( about 2’ x 6’) under the berth that is screwed down ? There are also teak trim strips around left right edge that might have to be removed. If there is a leak , I’m wondering if it is cheaper to find a shop that fabricates tanks to just make me a new one with additional inspection hatch, quality fittings etc . Have no idea how much it would cost but I should probably triple my expectations. $1000 -> more like 3 grand :)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A few years ago I had a new alum. fuel tank fabricated and it was way under $1K. If you have a decent drawing, contact the folks at
I had a baffle installed, two good sized clean out ports, and a new gauge sensor.
Link: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/diesel-tank-replacement.6303/

And: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/deck-fill-cap-question.5906/

Keith Parcells

Contributing Partner
I assume the 1x4 is visible after you remove the board ( about 2’ x 6’) under the berth that is screwed down ? There are also teak trim strips around left right edge that might have to be removed. If there is a leak , I’m wondering if it is cheaper to find a shop that fabricates tanks to just make me a new one with additional inspection hatch, quality fittings etc . Have no idea how much it would cost but I should probably triple my expectations. $1000 -> more like 3 grand :)
Yes, your assumptions are correct. Remove board under settee cushion and trim board. That to board comes out but is a tight fit out the companion way. then you will see the 1X4", I think.

Here in So. Cal, go to Berry Marine Fabrication in Santa Anna for a new tank. Best if you take him the old one but that is not necessarily a requirement. Can work from your dimensions or actually may have the original Ericson Blueprint plans for the tank! He has many of those! It is run by Vic who is a one man shop and does great work at a reasonable price. I hope he hasn't retired! Here is a link with phone & address info. Less than $500 for mine about 6-7 years ago. Included a new fuel sending unit and was beautiful work done.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One thing to keep in mind is that the OEM tank may or may not be best fitted to the space in the boat. When I replaced our stock tank, I was able to go from 14 gallons to 19 gallons and install the new tank in the same place.

LutherSalt

Are engine photos aggregated somewhere? I need to see, to show my mechanic something similar to what mine used to look like (or should look like!)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome aboard, Luther.

You need to fill out your member profile with boat model, year and engine. Such information is necessary for informed responses as there are a lot of Ericson and Olsen models and the year manufactured counts a lot for troubleshooting.

Then click on your name and add the information to your Signature line, so it will appear under each post. Username/Signature.