• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fuel Tank - 35 MkII

Intuition

Member I
I have a 1974 Ericson 35 Mk 2 and am in the process of replacing my original Atomic 4 with a new Beta Marine 25. I am wanting to install a fuel gauge in my original 22 gal. steel fuel tank but before I drill a hole to install that, does anyone know if the original tanks came with baffles or is it just one large empty space?? (I know how dangerous drilling into an empty gas tank is so I am planning on ensuring all of the gasoline is out (or as much as I can get out ) then filling the tank to overflowing with water - then drilling the hole. I am planning on drilling an oversize hole so that I can clean and access the inside of the tank and then install the gauge onto the cover plate for my access hole)

Thanks,

David

Glyn Judson

Questions about your tank.

David, It's likely that your tank has baffles, so much so that I'd almost bet the farm on it but never having owned a boat your size, I can only offer the above. Our E31 has two baffles in its 39 gallon tank filled with diesel and I know that our boat was offered standard with an Atomic 4 which suggests that all E31 tanks were built with baffles. As an aside, only one owner of 73 E31's made choose to take delivery with an A4, the rest opting for diesel. I fitted an aluminum alloy Bomar inspection plate C4806 to our tank as a replacement for a slightly smaller plastic one that came that way from the factory. As regards selecting a float for the fuel gauge, measure the depth of your tank and select the appropriate float arm length, that's about all there is to it. Note that the five mounting holes for the float plate are offset so the float can only be installed in one direction. Keep that in mind when match drilling these holes in your tank. Take the time to clean all the crud off the bottom of your tank while you have the chance and trust me, there will be a lot on the bottom. I had the tank in our former boat, a gas powered E25+ polished years ago and the guy used lacquer thinner to soften all the tars that had built up on the bottom. Then he began the real cleaning with diesel fuel and two levels of filtration until the dark brown fuel looked like honey. Go for it, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Intuition

Member I
Glyn:

Thanks for your words. I'm hoping that someone with the same tank can hop in here if possible, I'd like to know about where these baffles are so that when I drill in I won't be straddling one. I'll be at the boat later this week so maybe they'll be clues re: welding marks etc. that will help with the location etc. There is a mfg. plate on the tank so maybe I can get some more info off that or maybe even contact the manufacturer (if they are still around?)

Thanks again,

David

robjpowell

Member II
David,
Despite being the owner of a 1976 E35-2 I can't help you with answering your question. I would however be very interested in hearing, via this thread, of any hiccups, oh duh moments, how much time it actually took, things to watch out for and most importantly an estimate of the costs involved. I too will be facing this swap soon and knowing what ballpark to plan for/budget for would be a great help.

Good luck

Rob

cimarronE35

Member I
I just went through the process of replacing the old steel tank on my 35 2 and can tell you there is one baffle athwart ships in the center of the tank.

Intuition

Member I
Thanks for that - it is exactly the information that I needed. I may find that once I get into the tank and inspect it, I may be replacing it as well - but hopefully not.

Thanks again,

David

stillwater

Member II
fuel gauge

In the fuel gauge process, do yourself a favor and install a WEMA gauge. It is a float on a rod. They work very well, simple, robust construction and accurate. (Works great with Lowrance tank interface on NEMA 2000 readout). Price is about the same as the old style pivot float.

Dal

Stillwater
Bellingham, WA