• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

fuel tank alum tabs

patrscoe

Member III
I notice that two of my alum tabs that are welded to alum fuel tank and attached to the fiberglass are cracked.
The crack is not at the tank but where it connects to the fiberglass so there is no immediate concern or damage to the tank.
The tank appears to be about 1/4" lower now at the tab locations, so I am assuming these tabs slightly lifts up the tank from sitting on the bottom of the hull.
I think this happen in the spring during a really rough sail on a very blistery day and heavy chop.

Has anyone had the same issue?
If they slightly lift the tank off the bottom of the fiberglass, I can't see the alum tabs being super strong. I am going to repair them this winter and thinking that I should reinforce the others, whatever means and method I come up with, as I want to provide stronger supports.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It doesn't seem likely that the tabs are to suspend the tank. My 55-gallon tank weighs about 400 pounds when full. It appears that Ericson anchored mine in expanding foam.

Folks who have yanked their fuel tanks can tell us what's underneath, and what the tank sits on.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There is a picture in this thread of our OEM tank beside the new replacement. Note that both have hanger tabs welding along the top edge. This is a way to keep moisture away from the bottom and corroding it from the outside. I am told that this is the preferred install method, altho any method that insulates the tank bottom from moisture is good.
Note that our original tank (14 gal) had two tabs on each side and the new tank (19 gal) has three on each side.
(These capacities are a long ways from the gallonage of Christian's E-38, for sure.)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good point about the different installations in boats and models. As far as I can tell, my E381 tank is tabbed to the hull, and in a bed of foam. Although it may well sit on some sort of stringer beneath, I've not actually removed it. Here's a photo with text, apparently posted previously.

I'm always intrigued by the ancient magic marker notation on the upper left: "$390".

fuel tank E381 1984.JPG

btsayers

Good point about the different installations in boats and models. As far as I can tell, my E381 tank is tabbed to the hull, and in a bed of foam. Although it may well sit on some sort of stringer beneath, I've not actually removed it. Here's a photo with text, apparently posted previously.

I'm always intrigued by the ancient magic marker notation on the upper left: "$390".

View attachment 35258

btsayers

I had tro remove the fuel tank out of my '83 Ericson 38 as it had developed pinhole leaks in both lower left corners.
The tank was glassed to the side of the hull, which had to be cut through to remove the tank. There was no bed of foam.
Once the tank was out there was just a large cavity that required a lot of cleaning.
While cleaning up I found a welder who could repair the leaking areas of the tank that saved me a lot of money with not having to have a new
custom tank built.
I placed pieces of DRI-DEK from West Marine in the cavity to provide a cushion between the tank and the floor and side of the hull. The side of the tank against the hull was glassed in to prevent the tank from moving. Also installed 2 brace pieces on the bottom and top ends of the tank before
installing the quarter berth deck back in place so that the tank would not move even under an extreme heel.

btsayers

When you removed the tank, did it fit out through the companionway hatch?
It was quite a challenge to get the 60 gal tank out of the boat.
We did it with one of us inside the cabin and the other in the cockpit. Removed the entry hatch to increase the opening space.
Removed the cabin steps. Lifted the narrow end (rear) of the tank up to the companionway ledge and slowly pushed/pulled it out, raising it slowly to a vertical position to get the wide end through the companionway. Also had to angle it some as we pulled/pushed it out. It took quite an amount of time to do this.
Was way easier to get it back in as I had the outer rear edge sliced off, reducing the capacity of the tank by 15 gallons.

JSM

Member III
Had this problem on my 34-2. Two of the forward tabs welds were broken and the tank was resting on the hull. I bought a diesel transfer pump from Harbor Freight and removed the fuel. The tank came out easily and made it thru the companion way.
I took the tank to a shop does work on semi truck diesel tanks. They were able to weld new tabs on and cleaned the tank for $100.

EGregerson

Member III
What JSM said... ditto; Aluminum welder in VA Beach; he put on 1/4" thick tabs. I had to cut relief in the cover to accommodate the increased tab height, but they carry the load.