• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fuel tank in E35-III

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I removed the quarterberth top this weekend so I can remove the fuel tank for inspection and cleaning. The PO claimed that he had the tank removed and welded to repair a leak in the lower corner. I found that the tank is tabbed down on 3 sides with FG cloth. Is this stock or did someone add this after the fact?

BTW, found a bit of sludge and critters in the tank(looking through sending unit hole). I will be adding a good size inspection/cleanout port for future use. I am thinking of cutting a 4" hole and fabricating a top out of 3/16 aluminum plate. I will tap the holes and use a neoprene gasket. Any other ideas?

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I'm not sure about the tabbing question. You might want to look for evidence of tabbing being cut.

As far as the access hole idea - I think it's a good thing to add. When I had a pickup for my diesel heater added, the existing plastic access cover that the yard found didn't sit well with them. They questioned me about it and suggested a metal cover exactly as you have described. It looks good.

What technique would you use to remove critters and dirt when you find them?

Attachments

• EsparHeaterFuelPickupAndFilter02-small-reduced.JPG
    EsparHeaterFuelPickupAndFilter02-small-reduced.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 84

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Tabbed down

At the access panel at the end of the quarter-berth where the fuel fill and vent fittings are our tank is tabbed down (its hard to see elsewhere).

I emptied and cleaned out the tank as much as possible a few month back in place. I could easily reach the lowest parts of the tank via the stock access plate in the forward part of the tank. I found a slight leak at the vent fitting, which was taken care of by triple clamping the vent hose.

- Cory
E35-III #163

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I see the tabbing around the stern side and also along the engine compartment but there is just a sheet of glass about a foot wide and a couple of feet long that is just sort of draped along the port side of the tank. It attaches to the line just below the edge where the top screws down. All 3 areas look fairly unprofessional compared to glass work done elsewhere on the boat. I believe if I can empty the tank, I should be able to soak up the sludge with some paper towels through the access port and then burn them.

My problem is that I do not know if the tank was really fixed. I continued to get oil residue in my bilge all season. It could have been from engine oil, residual diesel under the sole from the original leak or some seeping from the tank. I will be replacing the sole and want to make sure all leaks are gone. We are also working very hard to elimnate all diesel smells from the boat.

custom marine

New tank

If you are in need of a new tank, I may be able to help. We made the tanks originally and could have drawings on hand. so if all else fails go to fabricationworkshop.com and contact me. Richard
I removed the quarterberth top this weekend so I can remove the fuel tank for inspection and cleaning. The PO claimed that he had the tank removed and welded to repair a leak in the lower corner. I found that the tank is tabbed down on 3 sides with FG cloth. Is this stock or did someone add this after the fact?

BTW, found a bit of sludge and critters in the tank(looking through sending unit hole). I will be adding a good size inspection/cleanout port for future use. I am thinking of cutting a 4" hole and fabricating a top out of 3/16 aluminum plate. I will tap the holes and use a neoprene gasket. Any other ideas?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks for the info "custom marine" but I believe the tank could be easily repaired. I know some great welders.

lbertran

Member III
Removing Fuel Tank

My mechanic recently replaced the fuel tank on another E35-3 and he told me that the measurements in the E35-3 manual on this site are accurate. He had a new tank made to replace the original. He said it was a straightforward job except for getting the tank out the companionway. Ended up having to remove the teak fittings that hold the hatch boards to get the old tank out and the new one in.

Laura Bertran
Footloose, 1985 E35-3
Annapolis, MD

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Laura. I hope not to have to remove the tank from the cabin. I just want to look/clean under the tank. I hope to cut out the tabbing using a dremel this weekend.

Jonbabco

I need to know the capacity of my diesel tank on my 1984 E35-3 with a Universal M4 5432

Thanks

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
According to sailboatdata.com it would be a 40 gallon tank if that helps. Someone with same boat will hopefully verify.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
I need to know the capacity of my diesel tank on my 1984 E35-3 with a Universal M4 5432

Thanks
My experiences of emptying and cleaning the tank on our boat many years ago is that the spec'd number may be a tad optimistic, but pretty close. There is also a gallon or so below the pick up tube that is unusable.

Jonbabco

Thanks to you all for your replies Helped me to determin the number of containers I needed. I emptied full to the brim the thank 6.7 five gallon Home Depot buckets + lids with rubber seals —- so the size of my tank is about 35 gallons