• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fuel tank vent location

wayneking

1986 Ericson 38-200
I am the new owner of a 38-200 (maybe it's actually a 210, not sure). So, learning more about the boat it seems like it's hard to fill the fuel tank very quickly and I wonder if the vent is restricted somewhere. Trying to follow the lines out of the tank is pretty difficult. Can anyone give me a clue as to where the vent is located?

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
Mine terminates on the starboard side of the transom. There are two vents there - one for the head holding tank and one from the fuel tank. You should be able to trace the hose down through the lazarete and under the cockpit to the fuel tank.

Bob Robertson

Member III
I had a similar problem. It turned out that my vent hose had a crimp and a downward bend in it.
To get to it I unscrewed and removed the panel covering the fuel tank in the quarter berth.
The vent hose was then easy to get to. I shortened the vent hose and reconnected it to the fuel tank.
It now works great, no problems.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I’ve had those kind of vents get plugged with moss/lichen/mud-daubers. Gotta ream em out with a piece of wire from time to time.
Also always wondered if that’s really a safe spot for a fuel tank vent…?

wayneking

1986 Ericson 38-200
I see where the vent comes out on the port side of the transom. The vent hose path is really convoluted however. On the aft side of the tank I see two hoses. One is obviously the filler, about 2"" diameter. I believe the other one is the vent hose. Could someone confirm that? I want to replace the entire hose but before I start tearing things apart I would like to have some confidence that I'm targeting the correct hose.

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
A different boat but your description sounds similar to my arrangement. If you are replacing the vent, I would recommend replacing the fill while you are contorting yourself into that space. As you do projects I have found it is best to expand the scope to other things within reach as time and budgets allow.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Our ‘73 E-32 vent is also on the transom. We’ve cleaned it out now and then as needed by disconnecting the vent hose from the tank and blowing the line out with an air compressor.

(Poor spiders and such didn’t know what hit them other than suddenly being airborne off the stern!!)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Mine terminates on the starboard side of the transom. There are two vents there - one for the head holding tank and one from the fuel tank. You should be able to trace the hose down through the lazarete and under the cockpit to the fuel tank.
Same location of both vents on the O-34. Someone at EY must have liked that arrangement.
I relocated our fuel vent forward and higher up to stop burping out fuel when the tank is full and boat is driving into head seas.
I put it on the inside of the combing, port side, above the bridge deck. Unobtrusive. Mounted just down from the top enough to allow the hose on the inside to have a short vertical loop to keep water out when washing the boat.

That former small hole in our transom is now glassed over, leaving only the HT vent.