• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fund Raising 06-07 & Status of the New Site

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Happy Holidays everyone! :xmas_sant

I've just finished with final exams - and before I disappear into the basement to work on my portfolio (deadline: Jan 15th), I thought I would do a little maintenance, tell everyone what the status of the new site is, and start the annual fund raising event rolling...

The 2006-2007 EY.o Fund Raising
Campaign is Now Under Way!

For those of you who are new, we do this once a year to pay for the site, etc. Small donations are requested, and can be made either via check or Paypal. Since I get this question several times a year, I've created a page on the new site that covers this subject directly and provides direct link here:

Thank you very much for your generous support of this site. Without your assistance, none of this would be possible...

Thank you also for all the kind emails and notes you have sent me over the years. It's very gratifying to have people tell me that this site enabled them to purchase an Ericson hull; that the community of owners here was a positive asset that helped them to make that decision.

What else is new?

Well, the upcoming year will bring changes to the site - both in the creation of a new website itself, and (potentially) to databases within the site itself.

On the new site - The new site can be visited while it's being worked on. You can visit it and even change your bookmarks etc to the new address:

This page has a link to the existing site, but you're free to poke around the menu system and look at some of the new features, etc.

The big thing about the site is its structure. Basically, the site has been rebuilt from the ground up (no more frames!), so that new items can be added without it being a major structural problem. Previously, we had growth problems related to how the site was put together. The new structure will allow us to expand as much as needed - on demand.

Some of the new things the new site will have include:
  • Regional Pages - A page for each region in the Ericson family. These pages will have locale specific info, region-specific organizations (like the CEOA in the Chesapeake), plus sub-pages for events pictures such as the Rendezvous that are held every year, etc.
  • Ericson Gear Pages - Page or pages for the Ericson logo gear that everyone is always asking about. Basically, this will be a place that will have gear offered for sale by other owners - not this site. You've been purchasing stuff from them for years - we're just now finally providing them a place.
  • Expanded Projects Section - This new section will enable us to provide more projects info, and be able to upload them faster.
  • Expanded Profiles Section - Ditto above. This new section will enable us to provide more profile info, and be able to upload them faster.
  • Ericson History Section - both the company and site and the tour of the factory...
  • Sailing News - RSS Feeds from other sites around the world on racing, etc.
  • Stories Section - Stories from our owners about some of their experiences - both in Ericsons and on other boats (want to submit one? Email me!).
  • Image Gallery - A new gallery will be added with unlimited Ericson images. I've had so many owners email me pictures of their boats for rotation on the front page that it became unmanageable. Now you (and prospective owners who would like a nice image of the E-model they're considering) will be available in the gallery!
Is that it? Very possibly - it only takes time to put it all together. When will it be finished? Soon - hopefully in January or February or March... I wanted to have it done by Thanksgiving, however on Halloween I slashed my hand in studio with an Xacto knife, nearly cutting the tip off one of my fingers...(a bloody story by itself - see below!) I could not type, etc - and by the time I could, I was behind on some of my school stuff... I have to admit, however it's amazing to see how fast the body repairs itself...

Once I get my portfolio submitted on January 15th, the website will again become my second priority - right behind my classes!

:egrin:

On the database - I have been talking with some developer friends of mine, and we're looking at updating the Owner's Registry to create a more broad-based solution - one that would retain the history of the boats as they're sold.

The idea is that eventually we would end up with a body of history on a number of the hulls, and new owners would be able to go back and look at what was done in the past with their boat, etc. This is in the works - and like everything else, depends on interest and available time..,but basically, the boat's registration would be amended to include things such as major maintenance issues, etc

I would be interested in hearing from you guys on this feature - and if you feel it would be a positive asset.

Beyond that, we've had the normal issues of updating the site (five major upgrades and doing maintenance - things like thumb nailing all the attached images - so you can see more in more standardized sizes, etc).

I'll leave it here for now. If you have questions about the status of the site, fund raising, my portfolio or how many fingers I still have, please feel free to email me and let me know!

So again, Happy Holidays - and thanks very much in advance for your generous support!

//sse

Attachments

• newlycut.jpg
    newlycut.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 89
  • newstiches.jpg
    newstiches.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 88
  • afterstichesremoved.jpg
    afterstichesremoved.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 84
  • onthemend.jpg