• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Furler and sail

key1

I want to equip my 1974 Ericson 27 with a jib furler and sail for the first time in its life! I've been running with a 110% for all these years. But I'm torn between buying new which would cost $2500-3000, vs used. I'm not sure new makes sense on an almost 50 yr old boat. Boat's in good shape but but decks are getting soft in some areas, stanchions bases need some work, etc. I don't know a source though for reliable used furlers and a sail, probably 120%. I sail in Lake Michigan, cruising only, no racing. We cruise up and down the coast on overnighters, and occasionally across the lake but we often find ourselves in 15-20 kn gusting to 25 or so, other times 6 to 8-12. The lake can get pretty choppy, so there may be some stresses on the equipment. I could benefit from the 120% in the lighter airs. Any suggestions? Furler equipment, size of sail? Thanks!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not easy, or even desirable, to find a used furler, and any furler usually requires a new forestay, sail and so on.

Does a furler make sense on your boat? Probably even 3K will not add much to resale value. Will you keep the boat forever? Then yes. Plan to move up, or sideways, in future? Then I'd say no.

When the wind comes up, drop the mainsail. A 110 alone ought to take you through most stuff. Or you can buy a smaller hanked jib, used, for peanuts. The smaller a jib is, the easier and more inviting it is to change headsails as conditions change.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Stay with hank on sails on your 50 year boat. Don't buy a furler. Invest in different sized head sails. You can find them used as there are many other popular boats close in rig size like the Catalina 27 or Cal 2-27. I also added a down haul (1/8" nautical line) attached to the second sail hank from the top, run thru a block on at the base of the forestay and led aft to the cockpit secured with a cleat. The down haul line is used to lower the head sail without going forward. It is extremely handy when lowering or changing sails when the wind picks up. Head sails don't come down easy when it gets windy.

key1

Still mulling over a decision to make here. I have read several good pro and con arguments here and appreciate your thoughts. One other item - I would like to replace my original equipment Barient jib sheet winches. I am looking at Lewmar #15 or #30 EVO self-tailing. Any recommendations on size? Thanks!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am looking at Lewmar #15 or #30 EVO self-tailing. Any recommendations on size? Thanks!
You might consider a pair of new Lewmar 30ST winches from the current sale at WM. Two-for-one price!
Check the base size against your combing width, just to be sure of the 'fit'.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Key, please add boat model and engine to your signature line so readers know how to respond. It will appear automatically under each of your posts. See upper right of page, User Name/Signature .

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
Hi Key. I will slightly disagree with my forum pal Christian and others on this… everyone has their own version of what I call “boat math”. My version of the equation puts a multiplier on time spent aboard and sailing (there is also a project multiplier because like a sadist I enjoy many of them). For example, the Admiral in my situation requires a great deal of shade and the Bimini on Danu increased the amount of time she can be aboard and enjoying herself. While expensive this expense nearly increased my time aboard and sailing exponentially. If the boat math works for you - and your boat/financial situation/future plans/etc. pencil out - the upgrade makes sense and you should just do it and enjoy your yacht.

Last edited:

key1

OK, thanks for the advisement! Now thinking of going to 125% genoa, hank-on for a season or two. Then if we're still going strong, convert it to furler. Probably $500 to do that, add the luff tape and sun cover. Years ago I had a couple of "incidences" up on the foredeck bringing my jib down in fairly rough water. I installed the scheme that Grant did, that is, a jib downhaul. That's worked very well for me. Once down, I use the sheets with equal tension (but not too much) to keep the clew of the sail amidship so that it doesn't flop around or over the side. It's worked well for me. I've outfitted the boat with blocks and cleats to allow all sail raising and lowering from the cockpit. Also added lazy jack. I don't go up on deck after we've left the harbor or until we're back. I service the engine regularly. Hauled it out in 2002 to rebuild, did valves, pistons, gaskets, etc. Added electric fuel pump then and electronic ignition since then. Runs like a top. Nothing like having confidence in the engine when entering the marina in a crosswind and choppy water, and in a crowd!

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Head sails will stay in great condition having them inside when not in use and you never have to worry about your sailing unfurling when you are not there. I once was considering a foil for better sail shape and my sailmaker at the time told me that J24s have hank on jibs and work just fine. He was right. The performance on my E27 would not be that much better. BTW, I have a furler now and hate the way it sails when partially rolled up. Come to think about it, it was a lot easier to change to a smaller hank on sail while underway in a blow than it is now because of that downhaul.

key1

I've gotten some great opinions and advice from you guys, I appreciate it. Now one more question - I will be replacing my jib winches this season. I will be buying a new genoa 125-135% (final decision on size not yet made) and not sure what size winch to use. Replacements will be self-tailing type. Mfr will be Lewmar and size choices range from #15, #16, and #30 (2-speed). Any suggestions here?