• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

FX vs Ullman sails

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Where are you located? If on the west coast, the guys who own the Newport Beach and San Diego/Anacortes lofts are good friends of mine. Happy to make an introduction....
The boat is on a trailer in my home, I live in riverside, ca, OC really isn’t it local but I consider it that. Yes I would be happy get in touch with them I appreciate that.

update from Glen @ Ullman sails

He recommended 5.5 to 6 oz cloth, said 7oz is getting heavy for my size boat (i just to costal sailing) so now I’m a little confused. I tend to gravitate toward lightweight stuff.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Suddenly this thread is of more interest. I thought I'd get a quote for a new light-air sail, but the sailmaker I've worked with before has retired and his shop is getting completely out of the sail-making business. Not many other options near me.

I got some options from North with a couple of different high-tech materials and while it all looks very sexy, the price kinda gives me a nose bleed.
SailRite offers a box of nylon ribbons that I can sew together myself (maybe?) for a more reasonable amount.
Looking for something in between...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A friend of mine that has been selling sails in the Portland area for several decades is now handling orders for a well-regarded Seattle loft.
Drop a line to Cliff Hunter at chandcw@comcast.net
He will measure, order, and deliver/hoist a new sail from:

Brad Johnson

Member III
He recommended 5.5 to 6 oz cloth,
It really depends on the quality of the cloth , I had a 6oz hood vextran main sail for 21 years , It was a very high quality cloth, Its a decision between performance and durability , a 6 oz sail may be slighty faster in light air , 10 knots or less but 100 hrs in windy conditions the shape will change faster in the lighter materials , then the heavier sail will be faster in all conditions. Take pictures from mid boom to head board every year in similar conditions and you will see the shape changes the sail ages.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
It really depends on the quality of the cloth , I had a 6oz hood vextran main sail for 21 years , It was a very high quality cloth, Its a decision between performance and durability , a 6 oz sail may be slighty faster in light air , 10 knots or less but 100 hrs in windy conditions the shape will change faster in the lighter materials , then the heavier sail will be faster in all conditions. Take pictures from mid boom to head board every year in similar conditions and you will see the shape changes the sail ages.
At this point I am almost willing to make that trade off of lightweight for durability because of the type of boating I do. The fact that FX is half the price while using the same material makes it tempting! o_O For the price though, I’d be happy if it last me just 7 seas(ons).

here’s a link to their instant quote.

http://www.fxsails.com/quoter/selectboat.php

Navman

Member III
My experience with Ullman out of Annapolis was absolutely terrible. No communication initiated by the sales person, no return e-mails or prompt answers to my questions, never followed up with what he said he was going to do, hard to get a hold of, did have the sail in hand but forgot to meet me at the boat to try it out after I took a day off for that sole purpose. He ended up dropping the sail off at the marina and left. I picked the sail up the next weekend when I went back to the boat and bent it on myself. So obviously he never saw the sail actually bent on. While he was taking measurements for he main I also asked him to do the same for a new jib as I planned on ordering one the next year (this year). When I e-mailed him this year for the new jib he NEVER RESPONDED! I chose Ullman over other reputable lofts on the East coast because of their proximity to my boat thinking that I would get better service. NOT. As a result, I went for a smaller loft with a great reputation for customer service. The owner was in charge of the sails and loft for the Naval Academy's fleet for many years until he retired. I placed a call and he responded within hours. We spoke on the phone and he had a quote me within 1 day. I called him on the spur of the moment to see if he would be available to measure my boat as I would unexpectedly be on it the next day and he responded that he would make it work. The sail is due in next month. That's 5 weeks after the order was placed. Now that's customer service! I have another sailing friend who also has an order in with the sameUllman rep and has heard noting but crickets when he has asked to set up appointments and now cannot get a response as to if the sail is going to be delivered on the promised date, so this is not a one time event for this particular individual..

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
My experience with Ullman out of Annapolis was absolutely terrible. No communication initiated by the sales person, no return e-mails or prompt answers to my questions, never followed up with what he said he was going to do, hard to get a hold of, did have the sail in hand but forgot to meet me at the boat to try it out after I took a day off for that sole purpose. He ended up dropping the sail off at the marina and left. I picked the sail up the next weekend when I went back to the boat and bent it on myself. So obviously he never saw the sail actually bent on. While he was taking measurements for he main I also asked him to do the same for a new jib as I planned on ordering one the next year (this year). When I e-mailed him this year for the new jib he NEVER RESPONDED! I chose Ullman over other reputable lofts on the East coast because of their proximity to my boat thinking that I would get better service. NOT. As a result, I went for a smaller loft with a great reputation for customer service. The owner was in charge of the sails and loft for the Naval Academy's fleet for many years until he retired. I placed a call and he responded within hours. We spoke on the phone and he had a quote me within 1 day. I called him on the spur of the moment to see if he would be available to measure my boat as I would unexpectedly be on it the next day and he responded that he would make it work. The sail is due in next month. That's 5 weeks after the order was placed. Now that's customer service! I have another sailing friend who also has an order in with the sameUllman rep and has heard noting but crickets when he has asked to set up appointments and now cannot get a response as to if the sail is going to be delivered on the promised date, so this is not a one time event for this particular individual..
It seems that the individual loft makes all the difference. If you have a good one, go with it. If not, fugetaboutit!!!