• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Galley console in E38

Willpatten

Member II
The ice box and sink console in my '90 E38-200 project perpendicular from the port hull to midships where, it appears, it is tabbed once to the hull (TRFG) in the forward starboard corner.
That tab was broken when I bought the boat and I've never asked how it happened (shudder). The tab held but the plywood of the console delaminated and it now rides about 1.5 inches higher than it should.
Questions: how structurally important is that tab? how would I repair it?
Ever happen to anyone else?

u079721

Contributing Partner
Settling?

If you search through the archives here you should find quite a bit on the issue of settling of certain models of Ericsons. (search on u079721 at least, as I have commented several times.) It's mostly an issue with the 38s, but I think some 34s have seen it too.

Basically the weight of the keel pulling down on the cabin floor causes the floor to sag a bit, and the hull deforms slightly until it reaches a new equilibrium, and then it stops. It isn't really a structural issue, by which I mean that the boat isn't falling apart, or the hull isn't failing. It's just that the design of the hull and floor aren't quite adequate to keep the original design shape, and a bit of "settling" occurs with the boat in the water.

When we first saw our E38 it was on the hard. But when we launched we noticed that the floor had sunk a bit, and exposed an inch or so of cabinet along side the floor that had previously been covered up. Later in looking around I noticed the same failure of the tabbing at the edge of the cabinet that you mentioned.

About 1996 or so I called the factory and spoke with an engineer there. He said they were aware of the issue, and that the solution was to run a structural bar across the cabin sole athwartships to hold up the floor, or tie the floor into the cabin overhead with a pipe. Or do nothing, as it didn't seem to really be a performance or structural issue once the boat had reached a new shape or equilibrium in the water.

So I did nothing. We hauled the boat each fall, so I had opportunity to see the floor all the way up, and down when in the water each year. And while I think the settling did increase a bit over the years (1994 to 2004) that we had the boat, it still wasn't that bad. When we sold the boat I was expecting the surveyor to notice the issue and bring it up, but no one did.

So I wouldn't worry about it, but do keep an eye on the amount of separation and see whether it increases.

Last edited:

Willpatten

Member II
Thanks

Steve, thanks a ton!
It never occurred to me that the hull was dropping away from the console. I had assumed that something was wrenching the console up and away from the hull.
It hasn't changed in the four years I've had the boat and the very thorough surveyor had not mentioned it.
Wow! Something to check off with writing a check.
Thanks.

oceandreams89

Member II
Steve,

My 1989 38-200 has the same issue. Along with that I get a creak in the sole when I step on the joint between the pieces of cabin sole which join up at the base of the companionway steps in the galley. To the point that I step across the joint so as to not wake my wife (or the baby) first thing in the morning.

Did your 38 have this same creak in the sole. It drives me nuts.

I was considering routering out the joint to about 1/4 in wide, caulking the joint, and covering the carnage with a nice varnished piece of teak trim.

Any other ideas?

The gap for us is about 1" or less, and has been so for at least the last 6 years. I try not to look at it. :egrin:

Todd

u079721

Contributing Partner
Steve,

My 1989 38-200 has the same issue. Along with that I get a creak in the sole when I step on the joint between the pieces of cabin sole which join up at the base of the companionway steps in the galley. To the point that I step across the joint so as to not wake my wife (or the baby) first thing in the morning.

Did your 38 have this same creak in the sole. It drives me nuts.

I was considering routering out the joint to about 1/4 in wide, caulking the joint, and covering the carnage with a nice varnished piece of teak trim.

Any other ideas?

The gap for us is about 1" or less, and has been so for at least the last 6 years. I try not to look at it. :egrin:

Todd

We had that exact same creak, in the same place. Used to drive my wife nuts. We figured that the TAFG had basically settled or fallen away from the cabin sole, leaving a gap right there between the two. The one thing I had considered was to try and figure out a way to add a shim under the sole, but I couldn't figure out a way to access the spot. Being reluctant to cut into the wood I just never did anything about it. And since we hauled every winter, any shim would have to be removed prior to haul out or it would push the cabin sole up once the boat was on the hard. I like your idea about the trim piece, but I would think it would need to be removable for whenever you hauled her.

I too tried not to look at it, since the settling seemed like a major flaw in an otherwise beautiful and well built boat. But as I said, it wasn't really a structural issue, didn't compromise performance, and probably no one but the owner would ever notice it.

oceandreams89

Member II
Thanks Steve,

It is reassuring that I am not the only one with this issue. It has made me a bit nervous at times thinking about what might be going on there, but I guess I should relax about it since it seems to be common, and nobody has gone down yet!!

The trim piece I mention would be a sort of "cover" to the gap that I would open up and caulk. I would assume that if it works the way I am thinking, that it should ride up and down with the sole when the boat is hauled, since I would attach it directly to the cabin sole along the gap. I'll let you know if it works, if I am brave enough to start cutting into my removal = destruction cabin sole...

Thanks again.

Todd