• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Galley maid

CSMcKillip

Ok, I have searched, I have gone to the site, and I have looked thru all the boat soca, and I have not found any material on the galley maid 3 burner cooktop stove or oven. Problem is I have no idea what I would be doing to get it started, I know that you prelight the burners, but how? The oven?

I don't want to blow myself up, or start a fire!!!!!!

Help me understand

Glyn Judson

Firing up that Galley Maid.

Chris,

I'm assuming that yours is alcohol (my old Galley Maid was), so all you need do is pour some denatured alcohol into your 1 or 2 gallon fuel tank and then pump it up to pressurize enough to move the alcohol through the fuel line to your stove. Be sure all the burners are off before using the pump.

There may well be a pressure gauge on the threaded tank fill or it may be separate nearby. Using a bicycle pump or other, pump until the needle tells you something that makes sense.

Now, before doing anything else, crack open one burner and let any air escape and then let the alcohol flow into a cup that should be below the actual burner head. Think castle moat and you've got it. Once that's filled sufficiently, close the burner valve and light the alcohol in the cup letting it burn off fully. Now crack the burner, light it and you're cookin', sorry for the pun. The reason being that need to burn off the fuel in the cup is in order to vaporize the liquid inside the burner body because it's that vapor you'll be burning, not the liquid. Here's a similar set of instructions that I just found by Googling http://www.catalina27.org/Clips/PRICESS ALCOHOL STOVES.pdf

Note that they advise filling the bowl or cup only 3/4 full. I found that on really cold winter days I needed a full cup but you be the judge with your stove and your climate, just remember to let all that fuel burn off before trying to light the burner.

Hope this helps, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Surfin Tiki

Member I
One more thing about pressurized alcohol stoves. It's a good idea to keep a container of water on hand in case of a flare up.

WBurgner

Member III
Galley Maid Contact

Tried contacting them directly?

Stoves do not seem to be their main business anymore, but I have gotten info from them in the past. Perhaps a manual is available for your stove.

Galley Maid Marine Products, Inc
60 NE 110th Street
Okeechobee, Fl 34972
Phone: 863-467-6070
Fax: 863-467-6050
galleymaid@starband.net

CSMcKillip

Ok, I think I have an idea for the cooktop, fill tank, pump up for pressure, allow gas to run to stove, fill cup, light cup to heat gas in burner, light burner after gas burns out of cup.... Cooking.

What about the oven?

Thank you all for your help, your the best...

Matey

Member III
What Glyn said .. while I seem to only need a small amount to pre-heat the burners on mine .. about 1/8" or so. The manual says to fill the bowl to around 3/4 full also :rolleyes: My shop temp was in the 40's some days I messed with it and in the boat 60's. Haven't seen much difference. I've been using denatured alcohol from Ace Hardware (cheap)

In the name of safety and my own education .. I pulled the unit, tank and all out of the boat and worked it over in the comfort of my shop at home. It was a good idea. One burner of the 4 worked and most of the rest of the plumbing leaked at the back of the stove. Once I tore it apart, I found it is a very simple design and was easy to go through. I can walk you through it, if you get to that. Cost only $30- or so for everything I needed.

I did get hold of Galley Maid with a question .. but the guy I talked to was pretty liaise fare.

My Son & I just cooked on it this weekend .. and it worked great. Next I want to find something like this to hold a pot of soup or more importantly a coffee pot while gimbaled. http://www.shipstore.com/SS/HTML/CNTR/CNTRP1603.html

Regards, Greg

you can check out my corny video of the Galley Maid in action at :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52cu1PeiSbY

CSMcKillip

Thanks Greg, I do think I will pull the unit and work on it in the garage, we also have a shop that will cook new paint on the unit for us for around 80 bucks, I might get appliance paint and diy, but I know first hand the difference of me painting the unit and a pro job.

I just can not stand the crap brown color...:confused: