• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

garhauer cars, blocks, tracks and vangs

msc1212

Member II
On the never ending list of things to do with my E-35 II I've decided to change some of the rigging. I'm thinking of Garhauer cars, blocks, tracks, rigid boom vang , traveller, deck organizer and clutches. The price for these components seem very reasonable compared to Harken or lewmar. (Can you imagine how much the space shuttle would cost if Lewmar built it?) Are Garhauer components good? Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

tdtrimmer

Member II
Garhauer

I am using Garhauer blocks, cars and boomvang and really like them. I wouldn't use anything else. I'm not sure about their clutches. I like the Lewmar clutches.
Tom
S/V Mistress E38

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I also agree that Garhauer makes good products, and have seen them recommended frequently; also have not heard of any dissatisfied customers/sailors who have used them. That's what I'm going to keep using when possible.
Frank.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
clutches

I have to agree about clutches- spinlock and lewmar have really spectacular products. maybe some of the money you're saving using Garhauer stuff will help offset the additional costs.
I replaced the old and added 2 new spinlock clutches last year- couldn't be more satisfied.

Chris

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Block-headed opinions

Garhauer is probably your best "cost benefit ratio" hardware.

General observations: Garhauer started as a small machining company and just keeps expanding. They are sailors and boaters and like to engineer thoughtful niceties/upgrades to proven hardware designs that are similar to many others in many respects... except one: they make everything a little stronger and heavier. :nerd:

If you want blocks and attachments that weigh half as much and have great strength, go with Harken. You pay more, but that money goes into R&D, and a strong warranty.

Lewmar, to me, is kind of a mixed bag. They do some in-house design/engineering work, but mostly "innovate" by buying out other companies. Their core products (like blocks) are ancient in design, and they sell 'em cheap to OEM's. Our '88 Olson came with a lot of Lewmar turning blocks and some truly awful genny lead blocks -- all replaced after 6 or 7 years.
(To give Lewmar credit, their "falling rings" design in their newer clutches works flawlessly!)

Our '88 Harken traveler system, however, is still as good as new.

I have bought a lot of Garhauer turning blocks and will buy more in the future. We do not compete (and never will) at any level of competition where an extra 5 or 10# of block weight on our 10600# boat will make any difference at all. :cool:

Opinions dispensed while you wait. Deposit .01 please.
Loren in PDX

rgoff

Member III
On my '73 E27, I replaced my stock mainsheet traveler with a Garhauer unit. Also replaced all the mainsheet blocks with Garhauer.

A year later there was noticeable surface rust on a lot of the parts. I just hose things down after a sail, don't wipe them down.

Their blocks are also rather bulky. In fact, I can't sheet my main in as far as I used to be able to because the size of the blocks reduces the amount of line between them.

I will say they are very good to work with. They bent my traveler track and drilled holes to match my old installation.

YMMV.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I use Garhauer blocks and adjustable genoa cars (which are great), but everything else comes from other manufacturers (Harken mainsheet track, Lewmar clutches). I find most Garhauer equipment to be too massive. For example, I purchased the Garhauer boom vang and quickly sold it to another 32-3 owner because it was so large and bulky.

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
I have a Garhaur traveller and a set of triple clutches.

The traveller works very well, but it is bigger than I need on my boat. Since the traveler runs across the bridge deck in front of the companion way, the size of the car often makes it difficult to enter or leave the cabin. But in stiff winds, those big wheels and ball bearings are welcomed.

Five of my 6 clutches work well. I'm having trouble with one, as it frequently refuses to grab my uphaul. I'll take it apart and see what needs to be done.

gabosifat

Member III
garhaur blocks

I think it's great stuff. Catalina must think so as well because I believe something like 60% of their output is contracted to Catalina Yachts.

Steve Gabbott
E35/3 "Silent Dancer"
Vancouver

Richard Elliott

Member III
Garhaur

I'm looking for a rigid boom vang (having already reversed the main hatch on our 1989 E34). Garhaur appears to be about 1/2 the cost of competitors. However, their tackle is all rope where competitors use wire for the main line leading to the block and tackle. The vangs using wire appear much "cleaner". Is this worth the extra money?

lbertran

Member III
Brion Toss Likes the Garhauer Rigid Vang

There was a Brion Toss article I think in Sail mag a while back and he praised the Garhauer Rigid Vang saying it was well made, sturdy and a great value.

Laura Bertran

Glyn Judson

Deck hardware choices.

Laura and all, I bought my 1979 E31 in the summer of 1995 and am the fifth owner. At the time she was wearing a mix of at least four different brands of deck hardware or more, can't really remember. I'd had good prior experience with Harken gear and decided on that as the best brand to convert to. It's taken me all these years to have finally standardized to all Harken. The only exceptions now are original six bronze Barlow winches that came with the boat, all in perfect shape and there's no need to replace them. Harken gear is a bit more pricey than other brands but it was the quality of the product that really sold me and much of the gear I've bought has been used (bless you eBay) which has kept the cost equal to or way less than what Lewmar, etc gear costs new. Not only that, Harken's Customer and Tech Rep. service is the best. Break a part, need a replacement? Call them and chances are that they'll send it to you gratis. I've had their Windward Sheeting System on the boat for years and there's nothing anywhere on the market to equal it, honestly. I recently fitted an entire Harken Battcar System to the mast and main which now makes it possible for Marilyn to hoist our new sail alone. For my money, I'll stick with Harken, new or used. Gyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina de Rey, CA

Mindscape

Member III
Deck Hardware

I've replace a number of the original turning blocks with Garhauer blocks and like them. I agree with a number of the folks here - they are bigger and heavier, but they seem well made and the roller bearing stuff versus the original stuff is night and day. I also bought a set of Genoa lead blocks from Garhauer and then a set from Harken (got good pricing on ebay) and prefer the Harkens. That said I use both sets (one on the outer and one on the inner tracks) and don't have any major complaints, the Harkens are a bit smaller overall, and seem to provide a better lead since the provide for some swiveling. I also prefered the lewmar clutchs - they are things of wonder, very nice products.

My .02.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
The Garhauer EZ-Glide genoa cars are great because they have roller bearings and fit the OEM Merriman T-track. AFAIK, the others require track replacement which is not worth the hassle. However, I did have to remove the aft shroud u-bolt to get the cars on the track (and did manage to lose all the ball bearings on one which resulted in much cursing and some quality time with a pair of tweezers). Garhauer was nice enough to send me replacement bearings at no charge. I'm sure the bearings on the Harken cars are captive, which is one reason you pay much more.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I replaced the factory blocks on my mainsheet setup with Garhauer. Love the stuff. Works great and half the price of anyone else. I like/use Lewmar Superlock clutches as the clutches that release when the handle is pulled towards you. I tried the Garhauer and the handles didn't clear the dodger glass to allow the lines to release. I will be upgrading to a Garhauer traveller in the very near future. RT

mgusek

Have also over the last year replaced most of the original equipment with Garhauer ( blocks, rigid boom vang , adjustable genoa cars and a neat SS flag pole . Excellent gear and cost effective which means I'll just put the rest of the budget into electronics, next things on my list . Being located near their manufacturing plant makes it easy to pick up what ever I need .

Mindscape

Member III
Harken Genoa Blocks

Geoff, Harken does make a set of blocks that fit the original track. I was suprised to find them, and even more suprised to find a pair on ebay at a good price. I've not replaced any of the original track (inner or outer). I would like to go to adjustable cars like you have, very nice setup.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Really? Do they have ball bearings under the track (which are essential if you want to move the car under load)?

Last edited:

msc1212

Member II
Thanks very much for your replies. I purchased a pile of Garhauer products at the Toronto Boat Show including a rigid boom vang, traveler, sheaves, cars , clutches and an adjustable genoa track. Bill, the owner of Garhauer, was at the show and sold me all this equipment. He was very helpful and certainly aware of the specs for an Ericson 35.

Mindscape

Member III
Really? Do they have ball bearings under the track (which are essentially if you want to move the car under load)?

Geoff - no they don't they are just the version with the locking pin. As far as I know Harken does not make a version with ball bearings under the track that would fit our track.