• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Gas systems stove oven issue

Hagar2sail

Member III
Blogs Author
We have a Gas Systems 3 Burner stove and oven gimbaled on our 35-3. I have not for the life of me been able to figure out why the oven won’t work right. Googling seems to find a lot of people looking for the manual to this stove, but few answers.

The issue is this:

1. Light the manual pilot light by turning the knob to “pilot”. I have watched, and the pilot light will continue to burn for minutes, no issue.

2. Turn knob to desired temperature (or broil). Pilot light becomes a forceful flame, burner lights, everything is good.

3. About 1-2 min later both the burner and pilot light go out.

We can burn all three top burners for as long as we want, and the system has been bled for air many times. Propane tank was just filled. I am assuming some kind of safety device is being triggered, but can’t figure it out. Any thoughts?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our former LPG countertop cooker had a little sealed metal tube in the flame ring for each burner, and these functioned as a thermocouple to allow the gas to flow IF the burner stayed lit. You had to hold the knob to a temporary 'on' position for a short time to bring this up to initial (minimum) heat. If the sensor is defective OR the burner does not say lit, the burner will not continue to receive gas -- it's a desirable safety feature.
Unless... the sensor fails.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Our former LPG countertop cooker had a little sealed metal tube in the flame ring for each burner, and these functioned as a thermocouple to allow the gas to flow IF the burner stayed lit. You had to hold the knob to a temporary 'on' position for a short time to bring this up to initial (minimum) heat. If the sensor is defective OR the burner does not say lit, the burner will not continue to receive gas -- it's a desirable safety feature.
Unless... the sensor fails.
We have a seaward stove and oven, and after lighting our oven it stays on, reaches temp, then appears to go off, but relights itself to maintain temp. Before I knew this, I would relight the pilot, with same result. It's possible you also have a thermocouple problem, but it may at be working as it should.
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You might Google "gas stove burners go out" or similar for basic troubleshooting of common systems.

I just dived into the innards of our Viking kitchen range and YouTube guided me through the replacement of $400 worth of parts.

Last edited:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
I have had more than one thermocouples fail on home water heaters and have replaced them with universal parts available at Home Depot. You might try that. Only about $10-12, afaik.

Hagar2sail

Member III
Blogs Author
We have a seaward stove and oven, and after lighting our oven it stays on, reaches temp, then appears to go off, but relights itself to maintain temp. Before I knew this, I would relight the pilot, with same result. It's possible you also have a thermocouple problem, but it may at be working as it should.
Frank
Interesting. Do you know how it re-lights itself afterward? I am assuming the burner should run for at least 10 min straight just to heat up the oven. It really doesn’t even stay lit for more than a few min. Don’t know enough about this stuff. I am worried about leaving it on with no visible flame, feel like that is a way to fill the boat with propane :eek:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Interesting. Do you know how it re-lights itself afterward? I am assuming the burner should run for at least 10 min straight just to heat up the oven. It really doesn’t even stay lit for more than a few min. Don’t know enough about this stuff. I am worried about leaving it on with no visible flame, feel like that is a way to fill the boat with propane :eek:
Hi
I'm not at the boat, but from recall, the pilot stays lit, but is very hard to see without a careful look, but the main flame goes out and then starts up again, likely controlled by the thermostat in the oven.
I think a manual for that stove is available on line, which might give better information.
Frank