• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Genoa furling foot mark placements

jtsai

Member III
How do sailmarkers determine genoa furling foot mark placements? Do these foot marks denote a percentage reduction in the sail area or percentage reduction in overlap with respect to the mast or neither?

During club racing, an inexperienced crew understands when asked to drop the main traveler by 6". A reference mark or two on the genoa foot would be better visual for the same purpose, instead of requesting furling 2 or 4 rolls.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My new sail has them, and the rep says they're just arbitrary marks so the skipper can see how much sail is set.

I plan to sail to windward, unfurl to each of the three marks, and mark the correct genoa lead on the deck next to the track.

genoa karjs.JPG

Slick470

Member III
My sailmaker told me what the marks he put on ours correspond to but I can't find those notes at the moment. In general my understanding is they should roughly correspond to the next smaller headsail sizes. On our 145% furling genoa there are two marks. The first one is probably around 120-130% and the last one is probably around 95-100%. He also mentioned trying to place them to align with our rig geometry so spreader patches and other reinforcements are in the correct places when furled and we don't get any weird wear.