• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Getting Ahead

Bolo

Contributing Partner
As much I tried to put it off it was time to replace that smelly old toilet that reminded me of it presence each time I opened the door to the head. It was probably the original one Ericson installed in my E32-3 but 33 years later it was just now an old Raritan with a squeaky, rattling, noisy lever type pump. The inside of the pump was showing it's years each time I rebuilt it and gray water was backing back into and behind the piston and then into the bowl leaving quite a smell. So, out it came and in it's place I installed a brand new Jabsco Twist n' Lock manual marine toilet (Amazon $177.69). The great thing about the Jabsco is that you can set it up with the pump on the left or right. It comes with the pump on the right and with a little disassembly and reassembly I moved it to the left side which then placed the "bowl" more into the center of the space available in the head. The pump is also very simple and easy to use. So if you're looking to "getting ahead" then check it out.
IMG_1105.jpg

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
How much has swapping out the toilet improved the general "funk" (smelliness) of the head?

I've thought about doing this too, but I don't know if I replace the toilet but not the hoses or the blackwater tank, if it will remain equally funky.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
How much has swapping out the toilet improved the general "funk" (smelliness) of the head?

I've thought about doing this too, but I don't know if I replace the toilet but not the hoses or the blackwater tank, if it will remain equally funky.

It’s only been one day but the improvement was obvious since the old head smelled almost all the time. Plus the Jabsco just works better then the Raritan, IMO. Years back I did change out the black water tank, hoses and removed the “Y” valve since over board dumping on the bay is prohibited. The old tank was pretty smelly along with the old hoses.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
A fresh water flush system eliminates marine organisms in the bowl and makes a huge difference.
Yes, that’s true Christian and that’s what I was doing before replacing the head, flushing with fresh water from the sink. But with the installation of the new head I decided to hook the raw water line up again for those times, when on the hook, I might be running low on fresh water from the tanks. I’ll still mostly use fresh water even with the new head.

markvone

Sustaining Member
When I rebuilt my head and replaced all the sanitary hoses I added a Y valve in the head intake line and a connection to the head sink drain for fresh water flush. The Y valve allows either direct Bay water flush or fresh water from the sink drain path. I mostly use the fresh water flush which does eliminate the smell from marine life in the Bay water which can sit in the bowl for long periods.

Mark

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
I also highly recommend replacing all those old lines with sani-hose.

Along with this winters project to sand the bottom, I removed all the thru hulls including the raw water used for the head. I am currently in the process of connecting the fresh water from the sink to make my flushes fresh water.

Mark "Souleman" Soule

Bolo

Contributing Partner
FYI: My head sink has a shower hose that doubles as the sink faucet so it's a simple matter of pulling out a little hose and squirting some H2O into the toilet. Reason for the flexible shower hose is that it is possible to take a shower in the head of a E32-3. Not recommended but it is possible. Did it once or twice myself while on the hook during a hot summer's evening.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One of my most brilliant E32-3 ideas, maybe the most brilliant, or in any case way up there in the sparsely populated brilliant category:

An extended hose with on/off button for the hand-held shower head. Put shower head through the head portlight. Join it up there and shower on deck.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I think with the plumbing on the E323, a Y valve isn't required on the head intake line. The sink drain and the raw water intake for the head share the same through hull and seacock. With the seacock is closed, you simply fill the sink with fresh water, and that will be drawn into the head when you pump the handle. That is how I winterize, except for filling the sink with antifreeze instead of water.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I think with the plumbing on the E323, a Y valve isn't required on the head intake line. The sink drain and the raw water intake for the head share the same through hull and seacock. With the seacock is closed, you simply fill the sink with fresh water, and that will be drawn into the head when you pump the handle. That is how I winterize, except for filling the sink with antifreeze instead of water.

A little confused here. You say that the sink drain and raw water intake share the same seacock?? On my boat the sink drain has it's own seacock and the sea water intake for the head is has a separate one, which also doubles as the intake for my anchor wash pump that is located in the head vanity. Next time I'm at the boat I'll take some photos of it. Maybe I need to change the plumbing a bit.