• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

getting more space from the lazarette

davisr

Member III
The access to the lazarette in the E25 is not in the cockpit sole, but through a small door behind the companionway. This, of course, is where the engine would be - if my boat had an engine instead of an outboard - so some might refer to this space as the engine compartment. At any rate, it appears that it was during the production of this E25 that the manufacturer glassed-in a fiberglass battery tray in this space. Located as it is, just inside the door, the tray and the battery block access to valuable storage space. Ideally, I'd like to locate the two golf cart batteries I plan on using in one of the cockpit lockers, but I am worried that there might be an issue with sparks from the shorepower inlet in the cockpit locker igniting the gasses from the batteries. Would appreciate any suggestions on how I might rearrange things to make the most of the space I have available.

Many thanks,
Roscoe

E25, cb, Hull 226

Attachments

• Ericson25cbRenovationMidNov2009 021.jpg
    Ericson25cbRenovationMidNov2009 021.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Ericson25cbRenovationMidNov2009 020.jpg
    Ericson25cbRenovationMidNov2009 020.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 61

davisr

Member III
bomar brand access hatch

In response to my own question . . . I believe that I have found one answer. The easiest way to provide access to the lazarette is through the installation of an access hatch in the cockpit sole. This will allow the lazarette to serve as a handy storage area for lines, etc. Currently, it is a royal pain to access this area through the tiny door behind the companionway ladder.

Does anyone have any experience with Bomar brand access/inspection hatches? They seem much more sturdy and water-tight compared to the other brand available at West Marine - Tempress.

Thanks,
Roscoe

Attachments

• DSCN7959.jpg
    DSCN7959.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Ericson25renovationsDec2009 003.jpg
    Ericson25renovationsDec2009 003.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 0CAPP9I1H.gif
    0CAPP9I1H.gif
    13.4 KB · Views: 204
  • 411597[1].jpg
    411597[1].jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 210

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I installed one of those Bomar hatches on my E23. I used it to access the aft end of a battery box that housed the 3 group 27's that supplied power to the electric motor. The electric install on the E23 was very tight and I needed to have access to that end of the box to hook things up and mount a breaker. That was the space my tool box also lived.

The Bomars are pretty sturdy but they will crack if you step on them. I had to replace a couple of lids. If you can get something like a tool box directly under the hatch in a way that the tool box takes the load if the hatch lid is stepped on, you should be ok. It did work well as far as sealing water out and providing access.

davisr

Member III
Thanks Mark for filling me in on this. I never would have known that the Bomar hatch was prone to cracking. So it sounds like you installed the hatch in the middle of sole, just as I thought I might do.

I went out this afternoon and took another look at my cockpit, including the cockpit lockers. I'm thinking now that it might be better to put a small hatch in each cockpit locker instead of in the center of the sole. This will allow me to access the port and starboard side of the lazarette (what some would call the engine compartment) and will allow me to avoid stepping on the hatch in the middle of the sole and possibly cracking it (as you have suggested may very well happen).

It would have been nice if Ericson had made the cockpit lockers deeper so that more of the space in the lazarette could be utilized. I see, though, their thinking. If they had made the locker deeper, there is no way it could have had a level bottom. Why? Because of the curvature of the hull near the stern. Therefore, the only reasonable way to access this valuable storage space is by installing a hatch or hatches in the cockpit.

Would you agree?

Roscoe