• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Getting old varnish off SS ?

Sven

Seglare
I'm re-using some old SS piano hinges. Only problem is that they have varnish on them and they will be visible. Any suggestions for how to clean them up ?

Acetone - no-go. Razorblade - no-go. Heat gun ? Paint remover ?

Thanks,

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
A sanding block !

Not the kind that you use to hold the sand paper but the kind where the block itself is the sanding medium.

I tried the heat gun and that was worthless.

I almost did some major injury to myself as I forgot the piano-hinge hanging out over the workbench edge was smoking hot while I was putting away the gun and leaning over the table. No harm done but I feel stupid :egrin:

The surface on the hinge is beautiful after some elbow grease. I now have a new appreciation of sanding blocks too, I'd never really used it before.

-Sven

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
It didn't scratch the metal?

I would have thought paint remover. I used it on my companionway boards before refinishing them; seems like it would work just as well to get varnish off of stainless. Probably not good to use on aluminum.

Sven

Seglare
It didn't scratch the metal?

It got a very pleasing satin finish. I actually really like the finish but with a polishing wheel and polishing compound we could probably get the mirror finish back.

I would have thought paint remover. I used it on my companionway boards before refinishing them; seems like it would work just as well to get varnish off of stainless. Probably not good to use on aluminum.

Paint remover would probably have worked. I didn't have any at home and didn't want to use that as an excuse for another shopping trip before doing work :egrin:

-Sven

u079721

Contributing Partner
My first choice would be to immerse the items in old fashioned paint remover - the kind with nasty methylene chloride if you can find it. Make a tray of some sort and cover them over to stop evaporation and leave them for at least 24 hours, then scrub with a scotch brite pad under running water.

Sven

Seglare
The result

This gives an idea of what the result was after the sanding block treatment.

-Sven

Attachments

• DSC_4637.jpg
    DSC_4637.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 119

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Not bad. I have some companionway ladder brackets that I have not installed yet that need to have some varnish removed from them.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Sanding off a finish? No, no, no. You want Interlux pintoff #399
paint and varnish remover. Apply with an old toothbrush, let sit,
gently remove old finish. My favorite tool for scraping off the dregs
is an old piece of formica cut down to a convenient size.

lulugrace

Member I
Sanding off a finish? No, no, no. You want Interlux pintoff #399
paint and varnish remover. Apply with an old toothbrush, let sit,
gently remove old finish. My favorite tool for scraping off the dregs
is an old piece of formica cut down to a convenient size.
Can’t seem to find this - Interlux pintoff #399 - with google or Amazon searches?

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Yep, strippers containing methylene chloride are very difficult to find now. All the big box stores have stopped carrying them. Damn shame, because they were very effective when used properly.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
I've used oven cleaner...outdoors of course. Works great. Also works getting old painted-on names off the stern. That's what most pros use as well. Mask and gloves of course...again, outdoors!

Filkee

Sustaining Member
I've used oven cleaner...outdoors of course. Works great. Also works getting old painted-on names off the stern. That's what most pros use as well. Mask and gloves of course...again, outdoors!
I’ve been wet sanding my transom for weeks. I could have been cleaning my oven?

kapnkd

kapnkd
I'm re-using some old SS piano hinges. Only problem is that they have varnish on them and they will be visible. Any suggestions for how to clean them up ?

Acetone - no-go. Razorblade - no-go. Heat gun ? Paint remover ?

Thanks,

-Sven
I’ve had pretty good luck with lacquer thinner for excess varnish or paint removal on metals and even fiberglass but used it sparingly in small areas at a time.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Regarding use of a 'wheel', If you physically remove it, you will probably need to refinish the surface. 3300 and 500 grit, and work your way up to about 1500 grit, and then buff with a wheel and polishing rouge. I did a *lot* of this work during our recent re-fit. Not too difficult with the right tools, and if I can do this, most any sentient animal can do it!
:)

lulugrace

Member I
I elected to do it the old fashioned way - orbital sander medium grit down to bare wood, then hand sand with the grain and a fine grit finish. Then tack cloth and teak oil. Wish I would have taken before and after pics.... they look like new boards now!