• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Go faster E27

joelucido2

I consistently place LAST in my sail class...

OK I understand I have a big heavy 27 footer..How can I make it sail faster under ligh and medium conditions You all know it goes like HLL downwnd especially with a spinaker but I already am lost upwind..

I was in a perf race last fll and beat a J120 ad105 but it was a short weird race and I gotlucky and had a great salor aboard - thanks BRIAN!!!
Help!!

Anything you suggest I will consider other than a troling motor ounted covertly at the keel.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Joe,

Here are some things you probably already know; clean fair bottom, lighten up (remove anything not bolted down), crew weight in the right spot (usually not in the cockpit).

What kind of prop do you have?

Get that Brian guy back on board :).

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Basics

You need to focus on those basics, plus rig tune and sail selection. Especially upwind, you need a good genoa of the correct size and material for the conditions-this makes a world of difference. If the main is old it probabaly has little or no roach, which is sail area you could really put to good use upwind and down...

As was said, a good bottom and keeping the weight out of the cockpit and on the rail (in anything over 8-10 knots) will also really help.

Get all the non essential cruising gear off the boat!

Give us more details about your bottom, sails and rig tune and we can help more.

Good luck!

joelucido2

:pOK guilty

I had VC17 tar on the bottom and I have carefully removed about 90% most of it feels smooth but not mirror or anything perfect - how much difference would that make?

New dacron main

3 year old 150 genny roller furled - heavy not light so this could be a problem in light air I mean I guess if you are using a 150 it should be light. and a heavy wouldbe better for 100%?

Lightwind use a light 150

Heavier air, use a storm?

Last yar we had 35knot winds in a race and we stayed pretty stable. Still I have theroller to about 25% of thejenny size, mail at ist reef..we were at 20-25 degrees but made the marks slow though.

whatdoyathink, Seth and gang?
:esad::esad:??

thomthod

Member II
I hear ya! I came in last place on my E 29 in our first race of the season. I used to race a Morgan 27 so this is a whole new experiience to me.

*Definitely lighten up, drain water tanks etc. Down wind or Beam light air I will on occasion drop the halyards to make the sails baggy!

*I know when I had my morgan and put on a Boom kicker it gave me great sail shape on the main and I started to win races.

*dont sail too tight! I have learned that speed over rules distance and some people tighten up the rig so bad she cant breathe!

thomthod

Member II
its hard to say! I know the Morgan was a lot faster but no creature comforts! I have only sailed the E 29 once, so time will tell!

T

joelucido2

what did youthink of you Morgan as far as longevity would buy another one now? they are good race boats...aren't they? Was it falling apart?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We used to have several Morgan 27's and 30's racing here. Not sure about the 30, but the 27's had regular problems with their keel attachment.
Not a boat I would want to maintain/rebuild in it's old age. The M-27 was a quick boat to weather, tho.

The Bruce King designed E-27 and E-29 were more moderate in design, IMHO, and much better suited to cruising as well as racing. i.e. they have basically aged better as dual purpose boats, imho.
:cool:

Loren

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
My E-29T struggles under Portsmouth rating against Catalina 22 and 25’s Give them time and they are faster in lighter air. When we get above 12 knots of wind the 29 stands tall and does well. The 29 does not point as high as the C 25 and 22’s but if there is decent and steady air she will run with them if sailed to her potential.

T
Give Blooz Traveler time and you will love the way she sails and she should do well in the east FL breezes

thomthod

Member II
The Morgan was very well built. I owned her for almost eight years and was a physically demanding boat. When we were closed hauled and on a heel my body would be contorted in the cockpit cause I did not have a good extender for the tiller. The boat would regularly pass my uncles Islander 36 and a pearson 31. Now that I am pushing 50, I need something that is a little user freindly to sail.

As for mechanical problems she did have the crack at the keel as well as the teak toe rails which I really despised. I usually at haul out time grind it out and fill it up with 5200 sealant and that held for 2+ years. The boat is built like a brick $hithouse with a waterline of 25 feet. I will miss her acceleration on the water!

I am looking forward to racing and sailing the E-29. I did get a really good deal on her. However after all the work that I have down its about time to enjoy her! This weekend should be the last heavy work weekend.

T

Seth

Sustaining Partner
morgans and props

The little Morgan 27 is actually a legenday design-it was VERY fast in it's day and won races under IOR, MORC (including MORC Internationals), and (still) under PHRF. It is still considred a top pick for a PHRF pocket rocket.
Of couse, a tiller extension and foot braces in the cockpit will help a lot!;).... When racing any boat with a 2 blade you really should set it vertical for racing...
The 29 won't be as good an all-around race boat as the M27, but properly set up and with a bit of breeze will do Ok in the right rating band..
Cheers,
s

larossa

Member II
Go Fast for E 27

Joe,

Having experienced the E 27 I would have to say that if you are going to sail with the J's you need to be at least set up like they are.
1. Lighten up the boat. The J’s are lighter displace and have longer water lines. Can't do anything about the waterline but you can take the excessive tools off, no shop vac, extension cords and other stuff needed. Take a tour of some of your competitors and you would be shocked at how spartan they are. Safety equipment and beer is all you need for these short races.
2. If you really want to race get rid of the sunbrella patch on the leech of your headsail. It distorts the leech of the sail something terribly and with the light air in Lake St Clair it hard to keep its shape in the really light stuff.
3. Back stay tension - would definitely be a plus to control sail shape.
4. Setting the prop is also a plus, it’s easy, give me a call and I can help.

Spring is coming in the North good luck!

sailinggiant

e 27 can be a real surprise

I have a 1973 e 27 hull originally an inboard converted to outboard. i bought the boat from a yacht club for 500 bucks complete with whisker pole dink davits roller fuler and just two sails, original main and a 150 genoa which has uv protection. i have sailed small boats my whole life ( lightnings hilghlanders and tanzer 16's. when i first sailed this boat i thought it was a slug. after getting involved in club racing ( i joined the club that sold me the boat) it appears the boat is a serious contender. a sleeper if you will. it out phrfs everything so far. j boats included. i am so impressed with this boat and it's ease to single hand that i believe that with a spinnaker i may have a chance to beat many of these other boats outright. it's all about the sail trim and rig tuning. i dont even run the tiller. i have a gentleman with far more experience than me do that. i am constantly on the sails. out haul traveler winches ect. these boats can kick some serious butt. it outpoints many boats as well. read about sail trimming or better yet get an old salt out there to show you the ropes . experience is priceless. my 2 cents Good luck p.s are you sailing in heavy current?

AleksT

Member III
Having just taken a long trip in my e27 (a boat that is new to me) I can say that the boat does not point well. (just confirming a previous post) the boat seems to like 40-50 degrees apparent wind (dependent on wind speed) when the wind is 8 knots or below it is right arround 50. My numbers may be a bit off since I don't have anything except the wind on my face to guage direction but you get the idea.
On my boat the traveller is not set up to travel, If I could pull the main up a bit to windward I could probably eek out a few more degrees

Centerline

Cannot understand from your post why the traveler will not travel. It's supposed to. As to boom position, upwind the max to-weather position of the boom is on the center line. No more. Fifty degrees pointing ability is not all that good. How's the main? Where's the crew weight? Can the jib "breathe"?

AleksT

Member III
Cannot understand from your post why the traveler will not travel. It's supposed to. As to boom position, upwind the max to-weather position of the boom is on the center line. No more. Fifty degrees pointing ability is not all that good. How's the main? Where's the crew weight? Can the jib "breathe"?

The traveler does not have any lines or blocks to make it move. There are two stops that keep the traveler car in the center of the boat. I have other things to do on the boat before I spend money on making the traveler functional. With this set up I can't get anywhere near centerline with the boom.
With the wind blowing 10-14 knots I was pointing about 40 degrees apparent wind angle and doing 5.5 to 6 knots.
Not bad while single handing a 30 mile passage.
When the wind dropped below 8 knots I would have to drop to about 50 degrees.