• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Gooseneck toggle, reef hooks, and mainsheet (oh my)

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Hi everyone,

Wondering if I can get some feedback on this. Take a look at the shots below. Before you comment, you should know that I just got this boat last month, and what you see here is prior owner rigging work. :egrin:

Ok, here goes:

1. You'll note the gooseneck toggle and how the tack of the main is "attached". It looks to me that the gooseneck toggle is UPSIDE DOWN, and that the location where the tack should be attached (not tied to) is that horizontal pin that is currently at the bottom of the gooseneck toggle that has a line dangling off of it. is this a correct observation?

2. Given the type of gooseneck toggle, you'll note that there are no reef hooks. I would like to install reefhooks here, but avoid getting one of those flimsy reef hooks that attach to the boom. Would love to get something that stays very close to where the tack of the sail attaches. Suggestions?

3. There is no boom vang. Note that where one would normally attach at the mast, there are a couple of blocks (jib and main halyards run through there). Would it be ok to install a bail just above those blocks in order to install a boom vang (and likewise, do the same on the boom)?

4. Finally, note the many blocks through which the mainsheet travels. On an E27 with a full baten main, is this much purchase required, or can I afford to lose one or two blocks? I'm considering this in order to make some room (if needed) for the boom vang, but also because right now the mainsheet is led aft into the cockpit on the port side, which drives me crazy if I want to bear away when I'm on a starboard tack. So I'm thinking of having the mainsheet right on the traveller, but not sure if that means losing some blocks and purchase. I don't race or do any fancy...just pleasure sailing on the SF Bay.

Thanks for much for your thoughts!!!:egrin:

Attachments

• IMG00322.jpg
    IMG00322.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 807
  • IMG00316.jpg
    IMG00316.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG00317.jpg
    IMG00317.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 315

Emerald

If I am seeing your pictures correctly, the mast side of the goose neck is flipped upside down. Turn it around 180 and take the shackle off and replace it with a pin (about 2 inches long) that goes straight through both sides- that casting is two parallel pieces that you can fit the tack of the sail between, yes? Also, I think you'll find that with a little wiggling, you can fit the tack for your reef point in here and pin it, and no special hooks are required. Then you can use the polished round eye, which will now be on the bottom, for a downhaul tied off to the cleat near the base of your mast.

Your mainsheet setup looks in need of work, to be kind. My prior E-27 was end boom sheeting, so I'll let others who have a mid-boom setup respond on what they like best, but in general I'd expect at least a 4:1 - something like a pair of double sheave fiddle blocks, one with a becket and cam cleat.

Last edited:

bayhoss

Member III
Double sheave fiddle blocks

My 28 has the exact configuration (double sheave fiddle blocks with becket and cam cleat) that you just detailed and it works just fine in all conditions. Straightening out that mess and adding a boom vang will help as well. One thing that was noted by the author, get good heavy reef hooks. If conditions are strong enough to reef, then they are strong enough to destroy any lite duty reefing equipment.

Best Always,
Frank
E28 Valinor

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Just to make sure I understand. It would basically be a 4:1 system like the image below (from Harken website), correct? This would result in having the mainsheet controlled from directly above the companionway. Any drawbacks to that (like the mainsheet getting caught in things down below)? I like this idea though.

2021.gif

Any suggestions for where to find the right reef hooks given the type of gooseneck toggle on the boat (which I wouldn't want to replace)?

MANY THANKS for this help. Much appreciated.

My 28 has the exact configuration (double sheave fiddle blocks with becket and cam cleat) that you just detailed and it works just fine in all conditions. Straightening out that mess and adding a boom vang will help as well. One thing that was noted by the author, get good heavy reef hooks. If conditions are strong enough to reef, then they are strong enough to destroy any lite duty reefing equipment.

Best Always,
Frank
E28 Valinor

bayhoss

Member III
Travler car placement

The configuration that you show is a very good one and identical to the one that came with my 28. No problems at all with it. My travler is in front of the compaion way entry. The people that I know that have the traveler on the cabin top have no complaint with it - just keep the sliding hatch closed to prevent the main sheet from becoming fouled in the entry way. Other than that the 4:1 with a mid boom attachment works just fine. There is a host of marine suppliers that carry good heavy reefing hooks. I'd get all else cleaned up and then tackle that.

Best Always,
Frank
E28 Valinor

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Ok, I think I'm going to go for this, but wanted to put this out there first.

This will will get mounted on the boom:
http://www.ronstan.com/marine/product.asp?ProdNo=RF55501

And this one will get mounted on the traveller
http://www.ronstan.com/MARINE/product.asp?ProdNo=RF56531

Not Harken I know, but the prices seem great (and I know this may be a matter of "you get what you pay for").

The configuration that you show is a very good one and identical to the one that came with my 28. No problems at all with it. My travler is in front of the compaion way entry. The people that I know that have the traveler on the cabin top have no complaint with it - just keep the sliding hatch closed to prevent the main sheet from becoming fouled in the entry way. Other than that the 4:1 with a mid boom attachment works just fine. There is a host of marine suppliers that carry good heavy reefing hooks. I'd get all else cleaned up and then tackle that.

Best Always,
Frank
E28 Valinor

wolly bugger

Member II
main sheet

Here is a picture of my set up for the main sheet on a E25. The most forward block is use for the boom vang. On the picture I have posted the boom vang is not install. I also do not race (and my wife keep reminding me of it) and this set up is working good for me.

Attachments

• IMG00033.jpg
    IMG00033.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_3456.jpg
    IMG_3456.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 168

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Thanks for the pics Stephan. I was also considering using the forwardmost block for one end of the boom vang. However, as you can see in my pictures above, I'm not quite sure if putting it just above the blocks at the base of the mast would be ok to do. Do you have a picture of where the other end of the boomvang attaches to the mast (or deck)?

Here is a picture of my set up for the main sheet on a E25. The most forward block is use for the boom vang. On the picture I have posted the boom vang is not install. I also do not race (and my wife keep reminding me of it) and this set up is working good for me.

wolly bugger

Member II
main sheet

This is the best picture of my boom vang I have right now. It attaches to the base of the mast which keeps it in line with the goose neck. I think the previous owner of your boat wanted to remove the loose end of the main sheet from sitting on top of the companion way hatch, so he used the hardware of the boom vang.I usually have mine siting on the leeward bench. I find it working great for me, it keeps it center and easy access on both tacks. I also have a piece of trim that keeps it from falling in the cabin or the cockpit floor. You could get away with less than a 4 to 1 purchase but it spreads the load over a bigger section of the boom which I think is a good thing.

Attachments

• IMG_3818.jpg
    IMG_3818.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2749.jpg
    IMG_2749.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_2756.jpg
    IMG_2756.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 133

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Here's the mid boom sheeting system set up on my E-27. Not the best angle in this shot but it's the most recent photo I have. Three bails with three single blocks on the boom above the traveler for the main sheet purchase. There is another bail for the boom vang about half way between the for most main sheet bail and the gooseneck. The vang purchase connects to a organizer / mast base plate, then runs back to the cockpit through a deck organizer that shares the main halyard. The red lines are a preventer of sorts that connects to the for most main sheet bail and runs to blocks connected to the pad eyes a mid ships and back to the jam cleats that are on the sides of the companion way (not shown). Note the main sheet ends at the fiddle block right at the traveler. The reefing hook is bolted to the gooseneck in the circled area.

Sorry about the untidy main, I had just dropped the main and am coming into Cat Harbor at Catalina here.

The second shot is with a reef in although the main halyards a bit loose.

Attachments

• P8290092.jpg
    P8290092.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 146
  • P6060013.jpg
    P6060013.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Jeff,

Was the bolt-on reefing hook an add-on? If so, where did you get it? I'm having a hard time finding a reefing hook that bolts-on securely to the gooseneck rather than getting screwed onto the boom with a single screw (flimsy at best).

Thanks for the shots!

Here's the mid boom sheeting system set up on my E-27. Not the best angle in this shot but it's the most recent photo I have. Three bails with three single blocks on the boom above the traveler for the main sheet purchase. There is another bail for the boom vang about half way between the for most main sheet bail and the gooseneck. The vang purchase connects to a organizer / mast base plate, then runs back to the cockpit through a deck organizer that shares the main halyard. The red lines are a preventer of sorts that connects to the for most main sheet bail and runs to blocks connected to the pad eyes a mid ships and back to the jam cleats that are on the sides of the companion way (not shown). Note the main sheet ends at the fiddle block right at the traveler. The reefing hook is bolted to the gooseneck in the circled area.

Sorry about the untidy main, I had just dropped the main and am coming into Cat Harbor at Catalina here.

The second shot is with a reef in although the main halyards a bit loose.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Ignacio,
I have a '73 E27 and I'm in the bay area as are many of the other E27, E28 owners on this forum. I have updated my traveler, mainsheet, boom, boom vang, and reefing system for the conditions that I sail and the for fact that I am usually short handed. I have a reefing hook that will bolt right onto your gooseneck if you are interested. I bought it at West Marine about 5 years ago and have since replaced it with a single line reef system of my own design that works quite well. I reef often where I sail in the delta and can do so from the cockpit in a manner of minutes by myself. E27 main is just small enough to get away with a single line reef.

I don't need the hook so I'll sell it to you at a reasonable price (?) if you want it. If you are interested in seeing what I've done to my boat (and possibly pick up the hook) email me at gkiba@pacbell.net. I'm in Antioch; about an hour drive east of you.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Jeff,

Was the bolt-on reefing hook an add-on? If so, where did you get it? I'm having a hard time finding a reefing hook that bolts-on securely to the gooseneck rather than getting screwed onto the boom with a single screw (flimsy at best).

Thanks for the shots!

The one I used is actually called a Tack Hook in the West Marina catalog.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...L=true&storeNum=2&subdeptNum=448&classNum=449

I inserted a short bolt through the hook and gooseneck and then secured it with a locking nut inside the gooseneck trough the upper most hole. I must admit it was a little hard to get a wrench in there. This hook was recommended by my sail maker at T & A Sails.

Attachments

• 002_062_005_505.jpg
    002_062_005_505.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,166

sleather

Sustaining Member
Jeff,

Thanks for the shots!

The one I used is actually called a Tack Hook in the West Marina catalog.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...L=true&storeNum=2&subdeptNum=448&classNum=449

I inserted a short bolt through the hook and gooseneck and then secured it with a locking nut inside the gooseneck trough the upper most hole. I must admit it was a little hard to get a wrench in there. This hook was recommended by my sail maker at T & A Sails.

Similar setup on my 23 and used the reefing hook(slightly modified) with some flat washers to offset it enough to center it. Used a pan head from the inside out so the tack cringle would clear. The nylock was just snug so the hook rests between the bolt rope and mast when not reefed. Your gooseneck may vary. ;)

Attachments

• BOOM.JPG
    BOOM.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 1,203
Last edited: