• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Got a new starter, but what am I looking at? [m25]

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
In my quest for the mythical "roar to life" start performance hinted at by owners of new or newly rebuilt starter motors, I too have procured a replacement motor from the internet. Most peoples' blogs or posts about it speak of it as a simple replacement, but without much detail as to what is what and why it goes where.

My plan was basically to remove the old one, note what wires lead where, and reconnect them in their respective locations again, but then I wouldn't be learning much. I also don't seem to be able to find a diagram, manual, or other information in the various literature online. So, my dumb question - what am I looking at, here?

#1 seems like an electrical terminus of some sort, but for what?
#2 and #3 are also electrical posts of some sort, and I believe I saw Maine Sail's alternator jumper wired to #1 in his post here. But what are they actually?
#4 is some sort of rubber...thing sticking out. Does an additional wire need to be lead in here?
-- Rubber thing appears to be a condensate drain per Al's post below.​

1582658287760.png

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I can't remember accurately enough to comment, but here's a photo of my completed setup with alternator jump.

Others may be able to name the wires for you.

example.JPG

Here's the way it looked before the conversion. The original factory wire color-coding should be evident.

original wiring.JPG

Baslin

Member III
#1 is the starter signal wire from your keyswitch that activates the starter solenoid.
#2 is the positive starter lug. Your Positive battery cable connects to #2
#3 is from the solenoid to the starter motor. No wires connect to that lug

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
#1 is the starter signal wire from your keyswitch that activates the starter solenoid.
#2 is the positive starter lug. Your Positive battery cable connects to #2
#3 is from the solenoid to the starter motor. No wires connect to that lug

Oh so the thing with the #2 and #3 lugs is the actual solenoid itself? That's cool! I've learned something today, thanks all!

Baslin

Member III
Correct: The solenoid is what activates the starter gear to engage the flywheel.....The larger portion of the starter is the actual motor that rotates, spinning the starter gear, once 12 volts is applied........so here is another tip: if your key switch ever malfunctions, you can take a jumper wire with small alligator clips, clip one end to #1 on the starter solenoid and then momentarily touch the other end to the #2 post and the starter will engage, bypassing the starter switch all together.

debonAir

Member III
One finer point: the solenoid also actuates a switch which connects the 12v input to the starter motor so the huge starter motor current doesn't actually go through the key switch and is why the thick cable goes directly to the starter motor.

Last weekend I jumped my new alternator directly to the starter post with 6ga. I was thinking it would be nice to use the spot where the now useless ammeter is on the panel as a volt meter. Is there a drop in replacement voltmeter that would fit in that spot? Is it hard to swap the meter out?

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
One finer point: the solenoid also actuates a switch which connects the 12v input to the starter motor so the huge starter motor current doesn't actually go through the key switch and is why the thick cable goes directly to the starter motor.

Last weekend I jumped my new alternator directly to the starter post with 6ga. I was thinking it would be nice to use the spot where the now useless ammeter is on the panel as a volt meter. Is there a drop in replacement voltmeter that would fit in that spot? Is it hard to swap the meter out?

I think any 2" voltmeter would work. I'm planning the same project and got this one (and other gauges to match): https://www.defender.com/product3.j...tmeter&path=-1|311|2349076|2349088&id=1364093

NOTE: The new site is a marvel. It let me know Christian posted halfway through my e-mail search for a Defender order confirmation. His and Kenneth's recent engine panel blog have been my reference material in my own planning.

Geoff W.

Blogs Author
Got the new starter in. Getting those old bolts off and back on again was a huge PITA. PB Blaster, breaker bar, and just the right combination of drive extension and socket depth made it work.

Also cleaned up the electrical connections and boy... This thing CRANKS! I was honestly a little scared the first time it went, but it only took 10-15 seconds of glow from a cold start and no chugging whatsoever. And that's without the famed solenoid upgrade. Hell yeah!