• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Got a real problem with my '85 E35-3 Rudder....

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Inquiring minds, and all that...... same blade shape and profile or a newer profile? (Either is fine, but... like, curiosity....)
CORRECTION !!! JUST RECEIVED A CALL FROM FOSS...they misquoted..the new design rudder is ONLY for original early E35 models..the later E35's like my E35-3 (only original spec rudders available) has a cost of $2600 +/- instead of $1600 for the new design for older models. Don at Foss...super nice fellow suggested as you indicated above...cut an inch or so off the aft upper end of the rudder so it will not rub the hull, patch it with fiberglass, patch the fore bottom where it hit the cable, patch the 2 blisters and live with the slight post bend (it has no effect on the steering) and be done with it. I intend to do just that for now. Note: Foss said never to try straightening the post..!

Last edited:

debonAir

Member III
Ill be droping my rudder this Sprint... hmmm $1600 is really not that big!!! Welcome to big-old-boat ownership. I might just get a new rudder myself now.. I am guessing that your "blister" was really a delamination, which is a bit different from osmotic blistering. A slightly bend and blistered rudder isn't really a big deal unless you're racing so don't sweat it too much.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
debonAir: Interesting that Don at Foss told me he does a lot of rudder replacements for those cruising the Caribbean Islands in shallower waters and they hit unchartered coral/oyster, etc. reefs and tear off parts or all of their rudders...not uncommon for the non-initiated newbies.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Is that impact damage--or did a line or wire get caught and saw that breach in the leading edge. Anyhow, looks like minor damage to me, here in the comfort of my chair.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Cable damage. Christian you are a character....keep it up! Glad you thought it minor...almost drove me to drink, or maybe it did!

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Ok folks....overhauled rudder and new bottom+ polish/wax...click for larger photo...now really broke!:

Attachments

• 4C56C52E-67F0-48FD-A247-AE1676C15D84.jpeg
    4C56C52E-67F0-48FD-A247-AE1676C15D84.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 39
  • 103A848A-59D6-405B-8F5F-BC029548A003.jpeg
    103A848A-59D6-405B-8F5F-BC029548A003.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Doug177

Member III
I have some blisters on my orignal 1987 E35-3 rudder and it does drain water out of drilled holes in the bottom after haul out. AND the boat does spin out of control rather quickly in 30kt gusts with asym up and is very tiring to steer in breezes over 10kts downwind or on reaches. Will probably go for the Finco Carl Schumacher designed replacement. Price has gone up a bit. $3,000 ish

Attachments

• e35-3-schumacher-rudder-design.jpg
    e35-3-schumacher-rudder-design.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

frick

Member III
I contemplated a new rudder on my 1971 E29. I had foss send me the specs on the new design. It was a cal 40 like shape a bit more of a high aspect ratio design. I ended up doing a rudder repair over the winter.

Also I just dug a hole under the rudder to lower it enough to drop it out.

Rick