• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

GPS recommendation

clayton

Member III
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum category. Looking for some advice/recommendations. My approx 15 year old Standard Horizon CP160 chartplotter antenna is shot, unit cannot acquire satellites They are available online from a few retailers, approximate cost is $100. Is it worth throwing $100 at a unit this old? I like the stand alone chartplotter at the helm station. I sail the Hudson River, this unit has been fine for my use so far. In looking for something similar online, there aren't too many options. I don't need a plotter/fishfinder combo, or the $2k+ integrated everything type units. Just looking for a nice plotter. Are c-map nt/nt+ charts able to be updated anymore, (so that buying a new antenna and continuing on with what I have would suffice)? Or is there a recommended $500 range standalone plotter to be recommended? How does the Navionics for iphone work when you're out sailing and no wifi? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Clayton

Guycou

As a plotter, the navionics for iPad works surprisingly well. Works also on an iPhone, but the screen real estate on a ipad is so much better. You need however an iPad with the cell phone sim card option, because it is the only model with an integrated gps. No need to buy the SIM card. Regular iPhones have the gps.

Slick470

Member III
Something like a B&G Vulcan or a Raymarine Axiom would probably also work fine for your application at a price of about $600. You also may be able to find new old stock of a previous generation Raymarine A series. I was able to get a good deal on a new A67 on ebay a few years ago. Older models mean less support and updates from the manufacturer, but that may be OK depending on the initial price.