• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Halibut Fishing in the Bay

Epenn

1985 E30+, San Francisco, CA
I've seen people catching halibut in the Bay. I used to catch then frequently as a kid in Alaska, but don't have any experience in the Bay currently or gear. Can anyone recommend a minimalist approach? Will anyone let me in on where and when to look for them?

Milagros

Member II
Hey Evan-
So first of all these are California Halibut--you would have been getting Pacific Halibut in AK. These are smaller, but just as delicious. Technique is similar, jig or troll over flat, sand or mud bottoms. Tackle shop would have better advice on gear but I know folks that go after them with live or frozen herring/anchovy, or spoons. Good luck!

On another note-any chance you were out last night? Saw a 30+ out in front of Crissy field. We passed right by and waved.
Ian

gabriel

Live free or die hard
like mentioned, drift a ”halibut rig” near where you see other guys doing it (They prob know the bottom and have Sounders).

It’s been many years since I've seen a halibut but when when I did catch them it was with always collar hooked live anchovy using a bait casting setup on 30# mono.

They WILL swim to the surface after your bait (or chum) and use a net to bring him out of the water. California ‘butts are better eating then their monster sized Alaskan brother IMO.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I caught a halibut off of a commercial boat in the bay on a trip with my son's cub scout pack a couple of years ago.

We used live anchovies for bait, dropped a lead weight positioned about 4-5' from the bait hook. Lower the line until it bumps on the bottom, then reel up 6-8" and let the anchovy look inviting. We fished the east side of Angel Island, and Alcatraz. I think in about 20' of water. There were many larger than this one. This is the East side of Raccoon Strait with Tiburon in the background. Month of May.

IMG_6372.JPG