• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Halkey Roberts "Old Style" dinghy valves

jreddington

Member III
I am trying not to lose an "old friend". I am amazed that the RIS inflatable that came with my E-28 has lasted the full 16 years I've owned the boat. It was made in Yugoslavia, which tells you how old it is. Figured I get a couple years out of it before purchasing a "real" dinghy, but it has continued on accompanying me on my sailing adventures.

I've painted and epoxy coated the floor boards which has kept them in good shape. After a good coat of dinghy paint a few years ago the tubes themselves are still well sealed. Needs a "top up" of air every 2-3 weeks which is no problem.

However, two 690 "old style" valves have started to leak. The valve on the inflatable keel is still solid as a rock and holds air all season.

I've done about all I can with out removing the valves. Have cleaned them by poking in with Q tips and soaking in some head lube. Slight improvement but still needs significant daily top up.

Might be able to better clean by unscrewing the outer half of the valve and cleaning from the back side. But would not be suprised if this donesn't work or something simply breaks in the process.

Have looked around and found that the "new style" valve top will not screw into the "old style" base. Has anyone come across a source for new or good condition used "old style" valves?

Alternatively, I could replace the entire assembly. However, comments I have found indicate that to take out the valve base you have to slit out from the hole and then repatch with a donut piece of material. I'm afraid this process could be terminal. "The operation was successful but the patient died."

Has anyone done this and possibly come up with a way of pulling the base out without additional surgery?

Fair winds,

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
I built inflatable boats for 10 years and I am very familiar with the new and old style halkey roberts valves and the new/old incompatibility issues. the new ones are shorter and will not fit with the old as you said. I would try to find a builder or dealer who might have the old ones still laying around. or find a dead boat to pull one out of. good luck.
As a last resort I have done the glued in doughnut several times and it can work. let me know if you want more info on this procedure.

Last edited:

jreddington

Member III
I built inflatable boats for 10 years and I am very familiar with the new and old style halkey roberts valves and the new/old incompatibility issues. the new ones are shorter and will not fit with the old as you said. I would try to find a builder or dealer who might have the old ones still laying around. or find a dead boat to pull one out of. good luck.
As a last resort I have done the glued in doughnut several times and it can work. let me know if you want more info on this procedure.

Thanks for your advice. From your comment on the doughnut method repair, it seems to confirm that I cannot "squeeze" the replacement bottom half through the existing hole.

I'll keep my eyes open at consignment shops for old valves or possible "donor" dinghys.

Will also probably buy the removal tool. I've seen references to using needle nose pliers, but as old as these are, I think I need maximum purchase to remove without breaking. Might be able to clean up the disk and seat. The center pin and spring are intact and seem OK. Might also be able to glue on a ring to the disk to improve the seal between the disk and seat.

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Large slide lock pliers on the outer lip actually works ok. I think needle nose inside might break the valve. The olde and new valve wrench size is just a bit different. But I can't remember which one was slightly wider or deeper or something.