• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hard-top Bimini

Sailingfun

Member III
Yes, my top comes with keders to install in the future curtains or canvas to close it.
But that's another project for another time.
Next is reinstall the traveler, finish all deck and in January move the boat to bottom paint.
Inside I want to paint the whole boat (nice project for winter) and start reinstalling all electronic.
Busy winter!

p.gazibara

Member III
I just finished the layup of my foam and glass hardtop. It’s huge, but so is the E35 cockpit.

2B54DB44-C4C0-4006-8212-0CCBBF5BE2FC.jpeg

I still have to cut it to shape and bond the gutter for the water catchment on. The stainless artist here is making a new pushpit with 2” tubes that will support the roof.

I’m hoping to drop clears down from it and make the cockpit a hangout area even when it rains and gets cold.

It’s 2.5m wide in the front and 2.1m long. Pretty huge.

-P

p.gazibara

Member III
Ya, I’m here in NZ. The access to supplies/knowledge is the best we have seen. It was time to take on this project. We have a soft dodger that we had done in Costa Rica no plans to change that. This is just to hold up our solar panels and catch water.

-p

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Speaking of cruising (and now parking) in NZ, here is blog link for some friends from our little YC in Portland...
They seem to be enjoying their extended (!) visit.

p.gazibara

Member III
Velic, I have heard that name somewhere, wonder if we ever crossed paths. Anyway, I’ll keep a lookout and give them a shout if we come across them.

-P

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
That looks great ! Only wish my boat could accommodate one of those. My boom is much to low for something like that unfortunately.

p.gazibara

Member III
That looks great ! Only wish my boat could accommodate one of those. My boom is much to low for something like that unfortunately.

The bimini roof will start aft of the boom and cover the cockpit behind. Fortunately, Cinderella was re-rigged with a higher aspect Express 34 spar so I probably have a little more room aft of the boom than most E35-2’s but I’m not sure how much. My boom length is about 14’.

-P

p.gazibara

Member III
Hey Pajo, Any progress on the bimini top?
Slow and steady. I cut the shape out, bonded on the lip for water catchment and cut the hole for the backstay.

We trailered it to the boat, mocked it in place, and had the stainless guy come and take measurements.

3CE7FC85-AD8D-4617-B46D-EE58DD786815.jpeg

Next steps are to add carbon reinforcement pads for the hardware, install the gutter down pipes, and paint the top.

After that I’ll flip it over and bond on PVC tubing that I’ll cut a slit in to make bolt rope tracks for the canvas. Im also going to make a pad at the stern for the stern light housing.

Hopefully by the end of the week I’ll have the top painted and start working on the bottom.

In the mean time, one of my panels blew off the deck of the boat in some strong gusts and went for a swim. Two days later some friends and I went out with dive gear and found the panel on the sea floor. After a freshwater rinse, I tested the panel and amazingly it still works like normal.

-P

wynkoop

Member III
Good quality panels for marine use should be pretty much totally sealed with only the output terminals open to the elements (until connected and sealed of course). As such it is not surprising that on being recovered and cleaned the panel worked.

I do not however recommend swimming for solar panels. I feel they are most healthy when basking under the sun above the water.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hey Pajo,
Looking good! Are you going to through-bolt the solar panel mounting?

p.gazibara

Member III
Here is an update. I have bonded on some PVC that I halved to use as bolt rope tracks. I also added a lip to mount the stern light to.
FCFCD429-019F-40C1-87D8-B51C5F6AEFBB.jpeg8B2330B4-0303-402A-BC72-7B99E13FE867.jpeg

Tonight I’ll flip it over and prep the top for paint.

-P

p.gazibara

Member III
Hey Pajo,
Looking good! Are you going to through-bolt the solar panel mounting?
I keep going back and forth. Part of me hates holes in overhead areas, but it would be A strong solutions. I considered using 3M VHB tape on just the long sides, but I’m not so sure.

p.gazibara

Member III
Good quality panels for marine use should be pretty much totally sealed with only the output terminals open to the elements (until connected and sealed of course). As such it is not surprising that on being recovered and cleaned the panel worked.

I do not however recommend swimming for solar panels. I feel they are most healthy when basking under the sun above the water.
They are 345w SolarWorld panels I picked up at the local electrician supply in Seattle, Platt Electric. They were definitely not designed for marine use, but are very high quality USA made product. Unfortunately, I think SolarWorld went out of business.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hey Pajo, That thing is a work of art! Have you seen the latest video from Free Range Sailing? They built a hard dodger with rain catchment.