• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Harken MkIV vs MkIV Ocean

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I'm planning on replacing the janky old ProFurl jib furler at the next haulout. I see that alot of people really like their Harken furlers, but I have two options to choose from: the standard MkIV or the MkIV Ocean. I have watched the Harken videos explaining the models and I understand the differences. It appears the Ocean model would suit my needs and is considerably less expensive than its counterpart. However; I am wondering if anyone has real-world experience with the Ocean model vs the standard MkIV. I doubt Harken makes any sub-par products but I want to avoid any disappointment if possible.

Thank you.

Doug

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The double extrusion enables racing crews to change headsails without being bareheaded at any time. It requires skilled choreography.

I can't see that function necessary for cruising boats.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Fisheries Supply has both versions on display in their rigging dept. In addition to the single sail track, I believe the Ocean extrusion is round vs "airfoil" shaped like the racing model, so maybe a bit more windage. Also some of the swiveling parts (halyard hoist, for example) have fewer roller bearing tracks than the pricier model. I don't know if this would affect performance and/or longevity, but there are some differences.

Both riggers I spoke with assumed I would buy the Ocean model for my boat and usage, but I decided to rebuild my Harken Mk I instead.

Added...I just watched the video--it already covered the things I mentioned. Oh, yeah, they claim the round foil results in easier furling than the oblong airfoil shape.

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author

Slick470

Member III
Living in Canada, I've used Binnacle several times, always with good prices and great service.
Frank
My response could have been a bit more clear, I haven't used the Sailing Services folks in Florida, but I have used the Binnacle a handful of times. They tend to have very competitive pricing and I've been happy with everything I've bought from them.

For the MKIV, I recall I bought the furling unit from them, but I needed to get the toggle or some other needed install accessory from Defender or WM as they didn't have the part I needed. I'm ok with that.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I ended up with the MkIV Ocean Unit 1 furler. The installation was relatively easy, although the measurements ultimately took me four times to get right (pro tip- don’t try this in the middle of a steaming hot day).

I went with the long-leg extension kit to match the old furler drum elevation and sail dimension, and a Sta-Lok lower fitting to customize the head stay length which was different from the original.

My only beef with the system is that the special threaded studs that hold the furler drum to the foil aren’t captive and can easily be lost overboard as they must be fully removed to lift the drum up to access the turnbuckle. No spares are provided so extra care must be taken to contain them. Oh, and three different sizes of Allen wrenches and a box wrench are needed when one wishes to tension the headstay. Allen wrenches are provided with the furler but I already lost one to Poseidon.

Other than those minor quibbles, the system is an incredible upgrade from the old Pro-Furl, and I'm slightly aggravated that I didn't replace it years ago. It seems to create a tighter furl and improved sail shape when partially reefed than the old unit. And of course it furls with much less effort.