• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Has Anyone 3D Printed The Ericson Lamp Lenses?

pmarsha3

Member II
I'd like to replace all my original Ericson lamp lenses. There are two types. One has a small plastic screw that holds it in place.

The other is square and snaps in place. My lamps are installed over the galley and the opposite side of the companion way.

Can anyone help me out?

Attachments

• 20190120_124919.jpg
    20190120_124919.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20201025_123050.jpg
    20201025_123050.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You will need a file in the appropriate graphics format. I wonder if that can be generated from photos of the object?
Interesting question, that applies to a lot of smaller older (out of production) plastic parts.....

Last edited:

woolamaloo

Member III
While only an enthusiast, I love doing this sort of part prototyping in CAD software to create 3D prints. One of my winter posts on this forum will be about a few 3D custom printing jobs I did for my boat. Unfortunately, none of my fixtures have this style of light. If you could give me precise measurements, (preferably in metric instead of "Freedom Units") I'd be happy to help you prototype this and get you STL files that any 3D printer can output.

pmarsha3

Member II
While only an enthusiast, I love doing this sort of part prototyping in CAD software to create 3D prints. One of my winter posts on this forum will be about a few 3D custom printing jobs I did for my boat. Unfortunately, none of my fixtures have this style of light. If you could give me precise measurements, (preferably in metric instead of "Freedom Units") I'd be happy to help you prototype this and get you STL files that any 3D printer can output.
I could send you one of each. Do you have a printer?

woolamaloo

Member III
My wife likes to remind me that I have three 3D printers.

I'll PM you my address. If you ship them to me, I'll CAD them and print out prototypes for you and ship them back with your originals. If they work for you, I'll post the .STL files here and anyone else who has a 3D printer and the need for a replacement. Keep in mind, that 3D printing won't be a smooth as the injection mold originals. But they might work nicely as replacements. I'm not offering to print out all of them for you, but I'd be happy to create the files you'd need to get them printed from commercial services.

wynkoop

Member III
Those are the same as I have on Silver Maiden and they are "going". I would love to get some replacements, but I do not have a 3d Printer. I had not thought ahead yet to how I was going to make new ones. I have been dealing with renewing other things.

If this works out I would be happy to pay to have some printed as well.

Jenkins

Member II
I have tried this and have one of my efforts installed on the boat. My CAD skills are quite limited and I am not 100% happy with the outcome. The lens has a "taper" to it and I could not get the large flat section tp be perfectly parallel to the printer bed (or maybe my printer was not aligned very well?) and as a result the surface is not very uniform. However, from a distance it looks just fine and it lets a perfectly adequate amount of light through. I printed in white ABS. I tried to attach my .stl file here - had to zip it to get it to attach. Perhaps this can be reverse engineered to get the measurements?

If so, very interested in the results please,

Peter

Attachments

• lightshade v1.stl.zip
    77.7 KB · Views: 13

erikwfab

Member II
I have at least one complete fixture you can have, maybe more if I look, why not upgrade to LED?
Marina Del REy CA