• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hatches should they open forward or aft?

Mike Brockman

Ericson 41
Boat is on the hard for the second year of its rebuild and I am trying to seal up the deck for the rainy season. I have a forward hatch and main hatch aft of the mast, both are mounted so they open forward with the hinge aft. What are the arguments for reversing them or leaving them?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
That's a tough question!! :)
I like the forward hatch to open with the hinges at the back so when I sleep in the V berth I get nice fresh air even with the window partially open.
We reversed the main hatch so the hinge is forward, the open side is aft, to avoid conflict with our rigid boom vang.
Our arrangement works well for us, but others may provide a different perspective.
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If anchored facing (usually) into the wind, you get air forced into the interior on a warm day.
If underway, leaving a forward-facing-opening hatch open can bring in spray, rain, or even green water.

Our big forward hatch is kept dogged down when underway. I turned our housetop vent hatch around when I replaced it many years ago. Facing aft, it can ventilate the interior by sucking out air.

Neither answer is really "right"... I believe that you can get more air flow through the interior with the opening facing forward, but with more risk of water coming in.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I conclude that, for me at least, it's six of one half-dozen of the other.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
If you don't have anything in the way, I like forward for ventilation.

I installed our new main hatch "backward" to avoid contact with the boom Vang (not installed in the pic) and the main sheet. Contact with the main sheet can be fixed by adding a block near the gooseneck, but boom Vang contact can't be avoided on our 35-3. Before I made the switch, the crew complained everytime the hatch slammed closed, now they complain there isn't enough beeze.

I hadn't considered it before, but the newer lewmar hatches can be set at any point where the older hatches can only be set at three set points. I could have installed the new one the regular way and opened to just below contacting the main sheet. Oh well, I'm just happy I can see through them now.
20210912_171030.jpg

markvone

Sustaining Member
Chesapeake, no A/C, both hatches face forward for ventilation. I have about the same layout as the E35-3 above for the mid-hatch and a rigid vang attached to the lower mast (more clearance than the mainsheet shown) so I can open my hatch half way for ventilation. I always close the fore hatch when underway. It snags the jib sheets and collects spray if left open.

Mark

Mike Brockman

Ericson 41
Thanks for the comments, I think i will just leave both opening forward for now but I am planning on adding a rigid vang so I may reverse the main hatch at that time.