• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Haul out for winter or not

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I am wrestling with the question of either to haul out for the winter, as I've done with the two boats I've owned over the last eight or so years, or "winter" in the water. I'm located in the Annapolis, MD area and the water has not really frozen in my neck of the woods for a long time. A lot of people winter in the water including a few live aboards in my marina. I'd winterize the engine, tanks and such and take the sails and canvas down along with double up on the dock lines. The boat has good ventilation but I still was planning to possibly use an electric dehumidifier too. Then I'd haul out in the spring or August (when it's so hot on the bay and the winds are down) just to have the bottom power washed and possibly painted if needed.

I've gotten a number of opinions from my marina neighbors and some marina workers and the split is almost 50/50 in hauling out vs. putting her up in the parking lot for the winter. Hoping to get some opinions from people who have wintered in the water, if it's a good idea and what problems there might be about it that I don't know about. For instance, I was told by one "old salt" that a boat should spend as little time out of the water as possible because it's not designed to be up "on the blocks" as he put it. Your thoughts would be appreciated. ;)

Emerald

Couple thoughts worth what you paid for them ;) You're right, we've had a bunch of mild winters. Makes you want to leave it in. I think we're due for a big one.

I've wintered in the water here on the Severn, and perhaps the biggest pain is we do often get some very low tides thrown in. Since I'm only a block from the boat, it's not a big deal to make line adjustments as needed, but I've had "interesting" walks down the pier when slick with snow/ice to adjust said lines.

There is the ever going debate on "drying" out the hull some in winter. Having watched gel coat blisters disappear two weeks after haul out, I often wonder if there is validity to this.

When it's 15F out, blowing 25-30, and the tide is way down, I often want to be hauled out. My compromise has been to haul late, like mid-December or last year was first week of January, and try to be back in the first week of March. Gets the boat out for the two most weather stressful months, gives it a chance to "dry", if that's even possible, and I get a chance to knock out whatever maintenance I can't do in the water. This seems to be a compromise that has worked for me.

I have found as a bonus to hauling this late is some of the best sailing on the Chesapeake. Get a nice sunny day mid-30's or above, and I've had some great sails. We seem to get a winter duck that only hangs out in the middle of The Bay. Kinda fun to see how close you can sneak up on them. Haven't been able to get dinner yet....:devil:

John Butler

Member II
We left our boat in the water this past winter at Severn House on Back Creek. They have bubblers about every other slip or so that help keep the water open (probably not necessary last winter). We winterised the boat and didn't have any problems. We are planning on hauling this winter (mid December) because we are due for a paint job. I'd consider overwintering in Back Creek again.

I don't think you need a dehumidifier as the air is normally pretty dry in the winter. I think liveaboards have more of an issue with humidity because they keep their boats closed up and heated and living on the boat puts more humidity in the air. The lack of good insulation then causes condensation on the cooler interior surfaces.

John
1982 E38 Red Rover

steven

Sustaining Member
I like to winter out of the water every third year - so two years in - one year out. Haven't seen serious ice around here since the early 80's when the whole northern Bay could freeze and they needed Coast Guard ice breakers to get ships into Baltimore Harbor. But if it does ice over, and especially if your berth has a northern exposure, you've got to watch for the first thaw in the spring -- even thin wind-driven ice can damage the hull.

I like having her in the water. Run the engine every week. Go sailing on the occasional nice day. Save on storage fees.

Still haven't figured out what to do about the cockpit scuppers. This year I think I'll disconnect from the through hull and try draining them to a big old pail with some antifreeze in it and empty it every couple of weeks.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I do every other winter haul out. There are many good reasons for me to leave it in. My yard doesn't have a travelift, and the short transport has powerlines in the way so pulling the stick is required or I pay a lot more to haul elsewhere. All of the other reasons mentioned above are good ones for staying in. It is usually much cheaper. I own an ice eater and a boom tent cover for the boat. Staying in is really no big deal. I am also close to the boat, in a very protected harbor so I can check on her several times a week. Do what works for you but don't be afraid of staying in. Its no big deal. RT

John Butler

Member II
cockpit scuppers & bilge pump system

I have 4 cockpit scuppers. 2 drain to a thru-hull below waterline and 2 above waterline. I plug the 2 that drain below waterline after adding antifreeze to mix in with the water in the hose with the thru-hull closed (I haven't bothered to drain the hose because it is dificult to remove from the thru-hull fitting).

My main concern has been the blige pump system. The bilge does not stay dry due to water from the mast. I figure the water around the boat helps protect it from a hard freeze. Not much I can do about it anyway.

John

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Water freezing in the bilge doesn't cause a structural problem. All of us up north get water from the mast and vents and it stays frozen till spring.

John Butler

Member II
I haven't been concerned about the bilge. It was the bilge pump and associated hoses I was concerned about. Could they be damaged with a freeze? Maybe since they are not pressurized, there is room for expansion when they freeze and no harm done.
Thanks,
John

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Sorry, I didn't answer the right question. :)

Hoses don't have a problem with ice, and the submersible pumps don't either. Pipes, on the other hand, being rigid, might have a problem.

Most of us up north disconnect our batteries so the bilge pump can't come on with ice in the bilge. The pump trying to run while filled with ice might cause a problem if not properly fused.

I know some people who put antifreeze in their bilges, but I do not and have never had a problem. I only put antifreeze in the engine's raw water cooling system and the fresh water lines.

I drain the raw water strainer, head, and hot water tank.

YMMV