• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hawaii: June 2021

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I and a sailing friend attended a one hour presentation from one of the technical honchos, while we were at the recent Seattle Boat Show.
He emphasized, repeatedly, that would-be entrants MUST view the stringent equipment and maintenance requirements thru the lens of "often deferred maintenance", and that while many entrants may indeed be out of pocket 10K or more to get ready, it is less for the smaller % of owners that actually keep their maintenance caught up.
(A lot of boat maintenance seems to fall under the old saying of "pay now or pay later!")
:(
Having been thru the upkeep on a basic system, like the EY-standard 'Category one' bilge pump in the cockpit, and having secured wood plugs to updated thru hulls (admittedly only a start...) I have an idea of what he referred to. The whole list of prep. chores can be intimidating.... but even an elephant can theoretically be consumed one bite at a time. Or, so I have been told.
:)

We have newer standing rigging, and much newer running rigging, and an up-to-date auxiliary engine and related electrical system, there is still a LOT to do before we could qualify.

At least three sister ships to mine have raced to Hawaii, and here is a link to one of them-

I do think about it, from time to time.............

Pamaya

Member I
Here is a link to a YouTube documentary of a fellow Ericson owner''s - second R/T to HI.

You may find it interesting if not already aware. Just watched it again this pm.

Stuart

Pamaya e-27
Chesapeake Bay

Pamaya

Member I
Yep, for me it is motivation for a Bermuda trip. Much less ambitious, but still a reasonable stretch... good luck with the pursuit

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For my generation.... it was the fictional Adam Troy, and "Adventures in Paradise".... in glorious black-n-white on a small TV screen.
Later, there was the the Maya, and "Southern Cross" ! Not only did ocean sailing seem attractive, it was accompanied by three part harmony.
Admittedly, in several decades I have only seen a couple of nights where the full moon shone across the seas like the title sequence in "Victory at Sea". (sigh)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Stuart, here are two videos on the Bermuda run-- just to complete my public home-movie autobiography. The water has not changed although many years have passed, and it is still the most marvelous 700 miles I have seen. The change from the green continental shelf ocean at the radical boundary of the Gulf Stream 170 miles out, then blue toward paradise.

Last edited:

hodo

Member III
It took us over a year to prep a friends X119 for the Vic-Maui. Safety is a TOP priority. We accomplished 3rd! Definitely a Bucket list thing.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
For my generation.... it was the fictional Adam Troy, and "Adventures in Paradise".... in glorious black-n-white on a small TV screen.
Later, there was the the Maya, and "Southern Cross" ! Not only did ocean sailing seem attractive, it was accompanied by three part harmony.
Admittedly, in several decades I have only seen a couple of nights where the full moon shone across the seas like the title sequence in "Victory at Sea". (sigh)

"Southern Cross" is highly under-rated. American Classic for sure.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner

Loren,

I think you mean, “Mayan”

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Oops.
Some of the details are not as clear as they should be...
"If you can remember the 60's you weren't really there..."
:rolleyes:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Someone in the Santa Cruz Harbor bought Mayan a few years ago. Yea I have been guilty of turning the music up too loud when Southern Cross and Wooden Ships comes on Pandora while sailing ;-)

Attachments

• mayan.JPG
    mayan.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 11

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Oops.
Some of the details are not as clear as they should be...
"If you can remember the 60's you weren't really there..."
:rolleyes:

haha! They say that the parties in Santa Barbara harbor aboard Mayan (and any and all boats docked nearby) were legendary. I’m sorry I missed them. Can’t we have do-overs?
:cool: