• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Head adventure

Sven

Seglare
:scared:

On our return from Catalina the head plugged up. We had been too careful about not filling the holding tank with water ... big mistake !

So, the dreaded job for the Memorial Day weekend was to unplug it ... obviously man's work. I'd had almost two weeks to plan it out and dread it so I was all prepared

:boohoo:

It turns out that the job worked really well. I got all suited up and hermetically sealed, not knowing what explosive wonders might greet me when I disconnected the hose at the lower end. I had hoped to disconnect from the upper end but as far as I can tell the tank is built into the cabinetry and there is no way of getting to it without actual structural dis-assembly.

I bought 10' of about 1/4" rigging wire for a grand total of $9 and carefully wrapped the end in plastic electrician's tape to keep it from having any sharp strands that might catch. I also taped up the head so nothing would get on the cabinetry or into the bilge. Finally I had the cordless drill ready if jamming the wire into the hose wasn't going to be enough, but I never needed it.

Two weeks of thinking and probably no more than 10 minutes of actual work and it was all done with no damage :egrin:

From now on we'll always have a spare Tyvek suit on board and a clean 10-foot 1/4" SS rigging wire ... just to make sure we never need any of it !

-Sven

Attachments

• IMG_4688.jpg
    IMG_4688.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4689.jpg
    IMG_4689.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4691.jpg
    IMG_4691.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4696.jpg
    IMG_4696.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:

WBurgner

Member III
Clogged Head

Better to be prepared, Sven. Some boat jobs are just bluer than others. Ask anyone who services the lavs on the airliners. It takes days to get the blue dye off if you are unlucky enough. (Yes, personal experience)

What model toilet is that you have?

I am in the process of investigating the installation of a Lavac in my E381. Anyone have one installed in their Ericson?