• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Head Help

jamescio

Member II
I recently purchased a "new" used 1982 Ericson 30+...Love the boat! I am still learning all the little things about her. I am having a couple of problems. The first is the head will not flush. I have located the seacock for the external water, I am confident it is on. It still won't flush.

What else could it be? Possible re-build necessary?

I also have a "Galley Maid" Stove in the boat. It has never been used. I found the alcohol storage tank this past week-end. There is a circuit breaker on the electrical panel...obvisiouly there is a pump; Where is it located? How can I light it safely? Has anyone ever changed the hoses?

As usual any assistance would be great.:egrin:

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Hi James,
First, Welcome!
Next, can we get a little more info? When you say the head won't flush- what kind of head? will the pump handle move? no water in? no water out? any fun noises?

Chris

WhiteNoise

Member III
Welcome! I also have a 30+ (1984) and love the boat.
Chris is right, a little more info about the head situation would help.

FYI if a rebuild is necessary it is probably not worth it. I believe you would have the same toilet as mine, the Wilcox Creden (I'm sure I'm spelling it wrong) and the rebuild kit is about 80% of the cost of simply buying a new one, with the added benefit of not having to rebuild anything.

I had the same stove, same breaker labeled for it, assumed the same thing, and had no pump. I belive you can actually pump the tank with a standard bicycle pump as the tank requires very little PSI.

I had the same stove. I decided to change my setup. I sold the stove and tank on ebay for a pretty penny and bought an Origo 3000. I do not need the oven and will convert the newfound space to some much need galley storage.

I am putting the whole thing together soon and will be sure to post some pics when I'm done.

Again, congrats on the new boat and welcome!:egrin:

-Chris

ref_123

Member III
Dry/Wet

Hello there,

most manual marine toilets have a switch or lever that says something like "dry/wet" or other words along these lines... Check that yours is functional - if it's stuck on "dry", it would not flush...

Regards,
Stan

jamescio

Member II
Thanks for all the replies. There is a default lever that was not turned on...It is working fine now. Thanks for all the help.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Be sure that the water is turned off at the head pump or the through hull when not flushing. There have been a few boats sink due to water entering through the head.

jreddington

Member III
Be sure that the water is turned off at the head pump or the through hull when not flushing. There have been a few boats sink due to water entering through the head.

Yep,

On my E-28 the waterline level is less than 1" below the top rim of the toilet. With leakage past the fill/flush flappers I've had it fill to this level just during day sails. I could see while heeling or at a mooring in rough water you could end up with a regular influx of water, sinking the boat.

Since I rebuilt the head, I haven't had the water level in the bowl come up again. But anyway, I have always religiously closed ALL throughulls when leaving the boat after my cruise.

And yes, the rebuild kits are way overpriced. Plus, there seems to be a running product change that adds to confusion on these kits. When you order the rebuild kit now, the flapper seems to come with two "slugs" (stacked) rivited to the flapper. This prevents my lever from moving properly. It took a call to W-C. Never got a good explanation but they did send me out a flapper that matched mine with only one "slug". Works fine with that.

Glyn Judson

Toilet sinking the boat.

All, The E31 head platform is such that at least when normally installed, a Groco K-H toilet bowl rim is almost at the boat's waterline. This could be similar on other Ericson's as well with other brands of toilet too, I don't know. It was sooo close for me (the top of the bowl is 1/4" above the outside water line with the boat on flat water in our slip) that I was scared to death I'd sink my boat one day if I forgot to close the raw water intake seacock before going sailing. It so happens that E31 hull #33 had the same toilet model as mine but in that case, the outside water line was 1/4" ABOVE the toilet bowl and on two occasions within two weeks, the former owner forgot to close the seacock after use and upon returning 30 minutes later from a quick trip to West Marine both times (honestly), he found the cabin sole awash. He decided to call me for a solution by either adding an anti-siphon valve as I have in my head or by not shopping at West Marine any more, he chose to add the anti-siphon. It's the Groco 3/4" bronze model that I've mounted on the forward bulkhead to the left of the toilet. It's almost on the center line of the boat at about chest height and when not in use, is hidden by a hanging towel. To flush my toilet, one has to place a left finger over the vent hole to allow raw water to be pulled past the valve as one pumps the handle with the other hand, opposite from the intended use of such a valve. The theory is that raw water cannot siphon that high and certainly not with the vent open, thereby saving one from sinking their boat. By removing a finger from the vent when exiting the head, that insures that the vacuum has been broken. Actually you can hear and see water in the intake hose return to the outside water level as you remove your finger. Is it unsightly? That's relative when compared to risking the loss of my boat, so my answer would have to be no. Anyhow, like I said, the thing is covered by a bath towel on a hook over it. In a conversation with Tim, the service guy at Groco years ago, I mentioned my installation and he admitted to me that he has recommended the same method for the same reason for the last decade or more. Regards, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA