• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Headliner Replacement

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
I have a small headliner repair project and noticed that the staples that I pulled are narrower and longer than your “typical” staple and gun that is in everyone’s toolbox. With COVID I haven’t been to the orange store (Home Depot) to look at tools and before I spent 3 hours googling does anyone know what type of staple and gun this is or what it is called (or maybe I already have been Googling unsuccessfully)? They are 3/4 inch length and more than half as wide as a normal staple. I ask because of the length primarily... I can make the width work.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have removed a ton of staples in the last several weeks to gain access to the nuts on the bolts for deck gear. I have found at least two or three distinct sizes of factory staples. There is a smaller-wire, about 5/16 or 1/2 wide, and a narrower heavier gauge wire that is driven deeper and is harder to extract. Then, there are the narrow ones that you seem to have found.
Since all were probably air-driven, they must have had multiple guns shared around when installing the vinyl headliner. Those original staples have rusted over the decades, too. For restoring the perimeter of the headliner, I may have to buy a small compressor and gun to drive several sizes. (my old hand-operated stapler works fine on soft woods, but balks at harder stuff.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Loren: a compressor/stapler is a very convenient, useful tool. I have had one for 10 years...used it once I think. Maybe you could borrow one? Roofers have them by the dozen. Try asking your neighbors or others that enjoy sailing with you? Or rent one...cheap!