• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Headliner Zipper Pulls- any plastic pull sources?

PNW Jeff

I've got an Olson 34, built in 1990. A couple of the zipper pulls for the headliner are corroded/missing. I'd like to replace all of them with plastic pulls- ideally YKK. The zipper teeth are in great shape. I've searched Amazon and gone to fabric stores. I haven't found a source for plastic high quality replacement pulls. I'd rather not buy a bunch of zippers and chuck the zipper teeth.

Has anybody found a source for high quality plastic zipper pulls?

Slick470

Member III
I'm not sure that plastic pulls will work with the style of zippers that are installed on our boats. I went through ours recently and replaced all the pulls with new metal ones. I figure the original ones lasted 20+ years so hopefully the new ones will last that long too. They were fiddly to install, but not to bad. There are a few threads on here on how to do it where you trim off a few teeth, wiggle in the new pull and then stitch up the spot where you trimmed off the teeth. I found that to be a major pain and ended up taking off the trim at one end of the zipper to expose zipper ends, sliding on the new pull, and then replacing the trim. I still need to replace the bungs over the trim screws, but I need to re-do the interior trim anyway.

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Did you find the master thread on zipper pull repair?

I haven't purchased, but I think there are some links in that thread. Sailrite appears to only carry metal pulls for the coil zippers.

Last edited:

Slick470

Member III

I haven't purchased, but I think there are some links in that thread. Sailrite appears to only carry metal pulls for the coil zippers.
I bought the replacement pulls I used from Sailrite. They only had them in white instead of the tan/cream or whatever the factory used, but now that they are installed and they work, I don't notice that they are white.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I found new ones for ours at a local large fabric store. About fifty cents each. They are painted metal.

dcoyle

Member III
I did a search on YKK zippers and found an online source with correct size and color. Will see if I can find the source again.

PNW Jeff

I bought the replacement pulls I used from Sailrite. They only had them in white instead of the tan/cream or whatever the factory used, but now that they are installed and they work, I don't notice that they

I used the link you provided- found the vendor and bought 20 YKK #5 zipper. With shipping it was under $8. Thanks!