• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

heat exchanger service

mybuddy

Anyone know of a good place to take a sen-sure heat exchanger off an atomic four for a cleaning, in Alameda or the east bay? My former go to business faded away with the retirement of the previous owner. Thanks

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well, you're looking for a "radiator shop." Down here they've faded away too.

But you can "boil out" your heat exchanger yourself. Check the comments section on this blog entry:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
If you do, “boil your own,” as I need to do, this Practical Sailor article discusses best solutions to use. This is a lot gentler on your HE that an acid dip by a radiator shop, even if you find one. Many years ago, I had mine boiled and they “found cracks,” which I don’t think existed before I took it to them, and they charged me for re-soldering. I think they caused the cracks themselves with strong acid dip and overly aggressive pressure testing. Christian’s blog is real good, but doesn’t discuss diy boil out, but you can do it in a bucket.

Be careful with acids and if diluting, always add acid into water, not the other way around. These are mostly pretty weak or mild acids, btw. It may be good if you can find a stiff bristle bottle brush to run through the interior pipes after soaking, too. Harbor freight. Has useful, cheap brass brushes, though I don’t know about one for inside the pipes.