• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Heater exhaust

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
I am about to install my new heater ( a force 10 propane) to the bulkhead between the main cabin and the head of my 35-2. As I look at it I can see the simple and least destructive way to route the exhaust would be to run it out through the hatch instead of punching a hole in the roof. The question is what am I not seeing? I know I will still need to provide clearance in the hatch and insulate it so not to melt the Plexiglas and it will require a couple of bends to move it aft the required foot or so, But the fewer holes through the deck seem worth the extra work which may be a wash by not needing to do any fiberglass work. Also I am not particularly with the bulkhead placement as it is higher than I would like and interferes with seating so if anyone has an alternative location I am open. Edd

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Cozy Cabin Heater"

That heavy 1" stack pipe gets very hot. I would guess that the plastic hatch lens would not like this relationship.

Of all the heater solutions, the Force 10 requires the smallest hole thru the cabin top (most of the others take a 3" hole).

Speaking of that pipe, plan for a perforated ss guard around it. A lurch of the boat can make that pipe an inadvertent hand-hold and cause a burn.

I changed our prior boat from a kero version of that fine little heater to the propane version. We also put a small low-watt Hella fan near the stack on the upper nearby bulkhead to distribute the heat. Otherwise your head sweats and your feet freeze.

Regards,
Loren

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Yes That exhaust pipe can get hot! I was envisioning making about a 3' hole in the hatch then placing a teak wench pad above and below after turning the bases so they would meet and thus insulate the lexan. Then line the hole with an asbestos fabric to keep down any rattles. ( Faux asbestos of course) The height of the unit to clear the seat back would make it difficult to use the exhaust as a grab rail, but the plan was to place a fan at the top of the bulkhead and then put a louvered shield over both the fan and pipe so if the fan is on it will cool the pipe and warm the air, hopefully pushing the hot air down to the floor. I too got the propane model, after putting the work into creating a propane locker there was no other choice! Edd