• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hhhhhhhhhoisting the mainsail E32-200 1990

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Right, the mast absolutely needs to be in column. When sailing, be sure to sight the track periodically to make sure it remains in column on both tacks in good wind. (Leeward shrouds will become a little slack, but mast stays straight.)

We can bend our masts fore and aft with backstay adjuster, and the permanent rake can be important for weather helm (but on cruising boats most just shrug). Any "S" curve however needs the immediate attention you gave it.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I put Tides Strong Track on our 32-200. I can raise the main by hand without the winch. In a pinch lube might hel.

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
Speaking of 32-200 Mainsails - I have a nice , crisp, North Main for sale...off of my 1987 Ericson 32-200...xlt shape...make offer..

Attachments

• 65BE31B9-6ED4-4063-A290-A7C04CB547FE.jpg
    65BE31B9-6ED4-4063-A290-A7C04CB547FE.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 14

gc_sailor

Rule of Thumb, Electric E34-2
My main was super tough to go up (has an older Tides track with crazing). Had the mast inspected and tuned and the surveyor discovered that the sheeve on my deck organizer used for the main was frozen as he tried to get hauled aloft. Changed this to the next sheeve over and it was night and day easier to hoist the sail.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Great basic point. That goes for the turning block at the mast base, too. An expensive roller-bearing block there would help--most boats use 30-year-old, unloved blocks to change the line angle 90 degrees. But even with new blocks, a hand-over-hand halyard raise reveals how much friction there is in any led-back system.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As far as I (we?) know, no 32-200 manual exists. Or at least no one has stepped up to add it to the archives.

With the reconfiguration from the 32-3, there are obviously changes in head plumbing, engine placement, wiring, rudder tube and more.

It would be a real service to the forum archives if a heroic -200 owner would take it on himself to create an addendum for the standard 1984 32-3 manual. It would be double great if it were illustrated with photos.

It's a do-it-yourself forum and I have a hunch any 32-200 manual will be DIY.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Tides Marine is by far the best investment I have made.
There are other threads about it on this Forum.
A slippery track is place inside your main track and slippery slides replace you sail slugs.
Sail raises with little effort and drops like a rock when you uncleat and let it go.

Also, Harken offers a system of ball bearing slides called "battcars".
I researched them but did not use them because they are relatively expensive and put weight aloft.

--Steve

A few days ago we took our boat out with the newly installed Tides track and the first thing I thought after raising and lowering the main was, "Why didn't I do this sooner?!" I had the track installed for me and even at that it wasn't expensive as things go on a boat and I definitely see it as adding a bit more safety to the boat. Plus my "seasoned sailor's" back appreciates it too. :egrin:

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
what is the size of the sail?
I = 42.0
J = 13.8
P = 36.0
E = 11.5
-----------------------
I � distance between top of forestay and the foredeck ( jib luff )
J � distance from forestay chainplate to mast
P � distance from boom to top of mast ( main luff )
E � length of boom ( main foot )
-----------------------
#6 headsail luff tape
-----------------------

Marlin Prowell

E34 - Bellingham, WA
We have the reverse of the Tides sail track system. The previous owner replaced the main sail and ordered Teflon slugs with it. I lubricate the mast track with MacLube. I can raise the main by hauling in on the halyard at the mast, and get the main all the way up without a lot of effort. When releasing the halyard, the main sail drops completely into the lazy jacks just like the Tides sail track video.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Tides Marine is by far the best investment I have made.
There are other threads about it on this Forum.
A slippery track is place inside your main track and slippery slides replace you sail slugs.
Sail raises with little effort and drops like a rock when you uncleat and let it go.

Also, Harken offers a system of ball bearing slides called "battcars".
I researched them but did not use them because they are relatively expensive and put weight aloft.

--Steve

Yes it was expensive, and perhaps heavy, but our Harken battcar system was amazing - one of the best things we ever did to our E38-200. I could raise the main to within a foot of full hoist by hand. And when single handing I could drop the main in about two seconds into the lazy jacks just by releasing the halyard.

Big Krazy

I = 42.0
J = 13.8
P = 36.0
E = 11.5
-----------------------
I � distance between top of forestay and the foredeck ( jib luff )
J � distance from forestay chainplate to mast
P � distance from boom to top of mast ( main luff )
E � length of boom ( main foot )
-----------------------
#6 headsail luff tape
-----------------------
Hi
Interested in your headsail.
What are those measurements?
I need about a 135-150 Headsail for my E35 ll
My max is Luff 42.5, Leech 41.5
Foot is 14 so something up to 21 might work.

Also looking for a topping lift.

sailing42

Member II
I have run into similar problems hoisting my mainsail. I removed the sail and cleaned out the track on the mast: ran a cloth soaked in Brake -clean up and down using the halyard and a 1/4 inch poly rope as a pull-down. I took some sandpaper and a small flat file and gave the plastic slugs a bit more of a taper at each end, then I dusted the slugs with a bit of graphite and re-installed them in the track. Made a huge difference.

marcny

I’ve got a E25 and I used to clean my track with a rag impregnated with dishwashing soap Using the halyard to bring the rag up and pulling it down with a cord attached to the rag. Same as previous poster.

This year began my solo adventures with my boat and after a couple of outings struggling to raise and lower the main ( running back and forth to the cockpit from the mast) I just dabbed the soap into the track on the top of as many slugs as I could and instantly was able to easily hoist and lower the main from the cockpit.

A couple of trips under my belt I remembered to locate and bring a glue syringe I had among my tools and that enabled a more precise delivery system.

I do this every so often now and it lasts a number of days.

Until I tried this I was considering investing in a new trac system, now I see no need at all.

My sail goes almost all the way up by hand and easily drops when released. I need to hold the main sheet when I drop the sail so I can manage the sail over the boom as it comes down. I used to have to run to the mast to pull it down manually.

I suggest trying this simple method.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Nice .. I thought about modifying my sail to put the plastic slugs on it ( rather than the rope track - which was a real pain ) . I think that ( and lubricated ) would have been a massive improvement and cost me less then the $1400 tides system . But I’m happy with my choice . It’s pretty easy to hoist without a winch . If what you have works well , I would stay with it .

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It bears noting in this thread that the mainsail coming down is the real problem. A main that tends to jam halfway is a danger that defies easy solution. Many old boats with misaligned luff tracks experience this, and shrug it off. Thinking it through is worth a minute.

Going up easy is a luxury, coming down easy is an underappreciated necessity.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
It bears noting in this thread that the mainsail coming down is the real problem. A main that tends to jam halfway is a danger that defies easy solution. Many old boats with misaligned luff tracks experience this, and shrug it off. Thinking it through is worth a minute.

Going up easy is a luxury, coming down easy is an underappreciated necessity.
That’s a good point . I remember taking a the ASA advanced sailing course and the captain who was our instructor was going over man-over-board rescue techniques. We had to do the figure 8 pattern and approach the man overboard float within 1 or 2 knots . It was all in calm conditions and flat water . The captain said that the exercise was all fine and dandy but if you don’t have capable crew or if you’re not confident you can do it , round up and drop the main.

frick

Member III
I once taped a 1/2 gallon soda bottle with a few holes in it, full of soapy water to my Jib track. Put a down hall on it and ran it up to the mast head. it is worked. I did get a little wet but it was summer time.