• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hiding the trash

Teranodon

Member III
I don't believe that there is a really good place for garbage and recycling on the E34. Inspired by "supersailor" Bob, I keep my receptacles on top of the engine cover. But the visual effect is not great, so I covered them with a piece of 1/4-inch baltic plywood, screwed to the ladder. Much better.

Trash1.jpg

Trash2.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For temporary trash, I pull a bag over a locker door and close the door. The 381 has a trash push-through into the lazarette, seen above the right-hand sink, but it fills fast.

trash bag.JPG

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
On Discovery (E-30), on long trips, there is not much room for multiple bags of stinky trash, so after compacting with my foot, into the stern lazzarette it goes.

peaman

Sustaining Member
Since we're talking trash here, I'd like to share a recent simple, but satisfying boat improvement project of mine. The 32-3 has a handy trash pass-through from the galley to a built-in waste receptacle in the starboard cockpit locker. PO of my boat had donated a cheap waste basket which fit in the built-in receptacle, but which required serious wrestling to extract the waste for disposal. after many hours of consideration, I finally developed a solution comprising a simple frame which fits at the top of the built-in receptacle, and which holds a common trash bag in place, with the help of a loop of bungee cord, in a manner which allows civilized handling of waste.

The frame is fabricated of a very inexpensive vinyl product intended for use in vinyl siding, specifically a 5/8" x 1-1/2" J-channel. A heat gun was used to soften the material so it could be re-formed in the shape necessary to perform to it's new purpose. Images below show the finished product, and fabrication notes.

IMG_3162.JPG
The finished frame, with bungee cord retainer.

IMG_3163.JPG
The trash bag retainer frame in place, and ready for "deposits".

IMG_3166.JPG
Sketch showing some of the fabrication details. If interested, I can provide further explanation.

No more trash bags hanging inelegantly from the oven door handle!

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
...a simple frame which fits at the top of the built-in receptacle, and which holds a common trash bag in place, with the help of a loop of bungee cord...

I came up with a similar solution, but.... with less craftmanship. Found a kitchen trashcan of the right dimensions, cut off the top, and... voila.

IMG_1551s.jpg

IMG_1553s.jpg

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
This is a game changer. I'm typing this with scraped hands from taking the trash out yesterday.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Or you can get more complicated (which never stopped me before) and build your own trash bag frame out of some wood & Starboard sheets laying around. In my version I even routed a groove for an elastic band but have found that it's not needed because the store bought trash bags will fit over the frame and stay in place. Just don't over-fill the trash "box" because it's then difficult to get an over loaded bag out. I also keep the extra trash bags on the same wooden surface where the trash box is located.

IMG_0732.jpgIMG_0733.jpgIMG_0734.jpgIMG_0736.jpgIMG_0737.jpg

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Slight detour - my PO fixed in place that nifty trash swing door, and mounted a new propane system controller in that panel, when he switched over from a CNG stove to propane one. The controller is in a very convenient spot. Also, not knowing what it was designed to be, I like using the 'old' trash bin for storing winch handles, cockpit whale pump handle, a throwing line, etc.
Nope, I don't have a great alternate trash solution: I keep a small narrow rectangular trash can either on the floor between the engine cover and the port quarter berth, or in the footwell of the nav station. Not sure what I'll do when I'm out for more than a day or so, though.

Last edited:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
…I don't have a great alternate trash solution: I keep a small narrow rectangular trash can either
For “day use”, I hang a grocery-store plastic bag on the rail in front of the stove with a couple of Velcro loops.

not very glamorous, but it’s handy, and out of the way, and easy enough to tie it closed and stuff in the bin when it gets full.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If the trash bin does not absolutely have to be hidden.......
Different EY (O-34) Model, and no, I might not do this to a teak faced bulkhead. That said, this has worked well for 20 years.
Background: our model does have a place for this "standard" size plastic trash container, found under the lift-up top of the nav desk. We decided that storing deceased banana peels under there was undesirable.

So the large foot well in front of the nav seat was really not being used for knees and by boring four holes to pass the bungee cord thru and knotting each on the inside, the container is very secure, and the top bungee also secures the top of the plastic trash baggie.

Also: the white plastic vent plates are a part of a boffo successful scheme to keep moisture from accumulating under the interior furniture on cold hull surfaces and contributing to mold and mildew growth.

Attachments

• O-34 Waste Basket method.JPG
    O-34 Waste Basket method.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 14
  • O34 waste basket under nav table.JPG
    O34 waste basket under nav table.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Wow, you guys have taken garbage collection to an entirely different level. I had no idea that pass-through above my galley sink was supposed to be used as part of an elaborate garbage bin system. Unfortunately, I have that lazaret bin filled with ropes, oil/anti-freeze jugs and other assorted things. I've been hanging a trash bag from a stainless steel S hook zip tied to bar near the nav desk. Time to rethink things - again.

phildogginit

Member II
On our e-34 2
- trash bin is well sized to fit under the paper roll
- full trash bags go into the lazarette
- yogurt container is compost bin

Credit to previous owner for this setup, works well

Attachments

• B4B4406F-9BDE-461F-822B-DE7B418E56F7.jpeg
    B4B4406F-9BDE-461F-822B-DE7B418E56F7.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 15

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I cannot imagine what Bruce King would think of these various arrangements.
A bit off course here with this topic but the problem of where to put the trash, IMO, isn't just a boat problem but also a house problem, maybe even a world problem. In my neighborhood, like most, trash day dawns with scores of plastic garbage cans parked at the curb, the kind the robot arm on the trash trucks grab and toss the contents into their bellies, along with their close cousins, the recycle bins. They line our street like a bunch of drunken solders trying to stand in formation on a Sunday morning after a Saturday night of hard drinking. Then after the trash and recycle trucks do their dirty work, they're strewn all over the street with a few passed out on their backs. It's quite a mess and something I'm sure most of you are familiar with too. To make matters worse new homes are constructed with no regard as to how to handle trash although my aunt's neighborhood, built long ago, had an alley behind the homes for trash can staging and collecting. A great idea that's not common today.

So, at least Bruce King gave some thought to trash on some of the Ericson designs but not all of them and what would he think about the owners solutions for where to put the trash? Well, I hope he would think, "Damn, forgot about the trash. Well, my bad."

jtsai

Member III
I immigrated to the U.S. from Taiwan in the late 70's when Taiwan was just a "developing" country. After 30+ years of hiatus, I brought my children to visit Taipei in 2015 and was impressed by the efficient government system, the 180 mph high speed rail, the tallest building in the world (at the time), and most of all, no trash on streets and public spaces. Then I noticed there were no trash cans on the streets in the entire city. You take out what you brought in.

Perhaps Bruce King didn't get this wrong after all.:)