• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Hikes/walks at the west end of Catalina

Sven

Seglare
We'll spend part of Saturday hiking with some friends at the West end on Catalina. Any suggestions for the most scenic ones or which way to go if we want to see the buffalo ? Is the bald eagles' nest visible from any of the trails ?

Thanks,

-Sve

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Hi Sven,

The trail to Little Harbor is good for buffalo. It's a bit of a long one though. You know that old buffalo named Wilson can often be seen at Cat Harbor and even at Two Harbors at times. I have seen him at both places. On the hike to Little Harbor you will gain elevation quickly and get some nice vistas, then you will go down into the Little Harbor camp ground and of course you will have to hike up to get back out. It's pretty much a full days hike round trip.

If you looking for a easy level hike with a constant view of the shore you can take the trail to Emerald Bay. For the most part pretty level. There is also a nice trail that connects the trail to Emerald with the trail to Silver Peak above Cat Harbor. It get's really steep. Keep an eye out for Rattle Snakes. I have not yet seen one on Catalina, but I know they got em. I try to avoid the tall grass where I can't see my feet. I have also done some off trail bush whacking in that area but It's probably frowned on.

As far as the Eagles are concerned, I have only seen them at Two Harbors, flying right over the moorings at times.

Just ask at the Information Office right at the end of the Pier. They know a lot more than I.

Here's one of my Wilson encounters.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jazapuss#p/u/10/JxQqKrGnG20

Attachments

• Catalina.jpg
    Catalina.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 35

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Some Hiking Photos

Some Hiking Photos West of the Isthmus.

Attachments

• CatHead.jpg
    CatHead.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 52
  • CatHead2.jpg
    CatHead2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 51
  • P1010027_5.jpg
    P1010027_5.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 45
  • P1010030_6.jpg
    P1010030_6.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 54

Sven

Seglare
Thanks Jeff !

Good info. We'll see where we end up. Heading out in the AM with our friends.

-Sven