• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Holding tank fitting sealant

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I did a leak test on a new holding tank today. The sender and inlet were fine. The inspection plate had a drip after a few hours, but the vent and outlet did not seal. Both are 90s, so they need to be a specific orientation. Ronco says the fittings should dry seal and I've read if they don't you can use some Teflon tape which I did with no difference. What am I don't wrong? Is there something better then Teflon tape I can use or is there a specific brand of fitting I should use? I really don't want to get this one wrong for obvious reasons.
20201030_140258.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Does the screw-in lid for the inspection port have an O ring? Perhaps it is not sealing as it should. Ask the tank maker about this.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Loren,

Yes it has an o ring. The inspection port is a little concerning and I'm going to ask Ronco about both leaks, but I'm more concerned about the 90s. Especially the one on the bottom of the tank. I wish I could have used your advice and had all fittings come from the top, but I don't have enough room above the tank.

sailing42

Member II
Bit late but hopefully this may help. Teflon tape, Teflon paste, and pipe dope are all for metal fittings, the Teflon makes the threaded joint slippery and you can thus tighten the fitting without the threads galling. For plastic threads and fittings, a sealant is required that is non-hardening and compatible with plastic - Hercules Megaloc, Oatey Great Blue Compound, etc. Also when using the sealant the rule of thumb is finger tight then one to two turns more, usually, one and a half is adequate. I ran into a similar problem with leaking irrigation plastic fittings and finally found an article on the internet that made the whole thing clear, bought the compound (Hercules Megaloc) and fixed the leaks. the article is on the web at Lasco fittings and is called Assembling Threaded Plastic Fittings.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Not late at all with the pace I work on my projects. Thanks for the advice.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Bit late but hopefully this may help. Teflon tape, Teflon paste, and pipe dope are all for metal fittings, the Teflon makes the threaded joint slippery and you can thus tighten the fitting without the threads galling. For plastic threads and fittings, a sealant is required that is non-hardening and compatible with plastic - Hercules Megaloc, Oatey Great Blue Compound, etc. Also when using the sealant the rule of thumb is finger tight then one to two turns more, usually, one and a half is adequate. I ran into a similar problem with leaking irrigation plastic fittings and finally found an article on the internet that made the whole thing clear, bought the compound (Hercules Megaloc) and fixed the leaks. the article is on the web at Lasco fittings and is called Assembling Threaded Plastic Fittings.
Megaloc did the trick! Thanks again for the advice!

Attachments

• 20201125_143321.jpg
    20201125_143321.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 9