• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Holding Tank for 35-3

Disch

I'm looking to replace the current holding tank (bladder type installed by previous owner) with a hard plastic tank. I checked the blogs and found info dating back to 2005/2007 on a Ronco B192. Does anyone know if that is a good replacement tank for the 35-3 or of any other tank designs that will work? Thanks Geoff

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Geoff,

I'm in the process of doing this right now. To avoid too many complications, I chose to keep the tank where it was designed which limited my choice to a custom tank, bladder, or Ronco's B192. I chose Ronco's tank. It is a bit smaller than the original, but the fit is exactly the same. The down sides are the size, limited access, and the drain fitting has to come out of the bottom. If your open to relocating the tank, it may be possible to relocate it to the V birth where the forward water tank is located. I haven't looked into this, but I'm thinking it may be possible and provide some good advantages.

Although I read a lot of good review about Ronco's customer service, I did not experience the same. It took quite a few emails and phone calls to get the order right. The person who was responding did not have a lot of technical knowledge and would not place the order without me filling out their order form. The problem was the order from has a square box you are supposed to label where you want your fittings located, but the B192 is a strange shape. I took pictures and marked them up with what I wanted and even made a CAD drawing with dimensions. In the end, they finally said I needed to talk with someone on the manufacturing floor. a few minutes later, he said it was no problem and I received shipping confirmation a day later.

When the tank arrived, the fittings were not exactly positioned where I had asked which required a small change to how I routed my vent. It isn't a huge deal, but it was frustrating. They also forgot to add the O-Ring to the inspection port. Another small annoyance is their instructions say not to use any kind of sealant on the fittings, but I could not get them to seal. I ended up using Hercules Megaloc sealant on the suggestion of a fellow member which solved the problem. 20201227_150048.jpg

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yikes. I've run into similar confusion lately. Might be Covid-related, lots of reports of short staffs and key personnel disrupted.

Disch

Geoff,

I'm in the process of doing this right now. To avoid too many complications, I chose to keep the tank where it was designed which limited my choice to a custom tank, bladder, or Ronco's B192. I chose Ronco's tank. It is a bit smaller than the original, but the fit is exactly the same. The down sides are the size, limited access, and the drain fitting has to come out of the bottom. If your open to relocating the tank, it may be possible to relocate it to the V birth where the forward water tank is located. I haven't looked into this, but I'm thinking it may be possible and provide some good advantages.

Although I read a lot of good review about Ronco's customer service, I did not experience the same. It took quite a few emails and phone calls to get the order right. The person who was responding did not have a lot of technical knowledge and would not place the order without me filling out their order form. The problem was the order from has a square box you are supposed to label where you want your fittings located, but the B192 is a strange shape. I took pictures and marked them up with what I wanted and even made a CAD drawing with dimensions. In the end, they finally said I needed to talk with someone on the manufacturing floor. a few minutes later, he said it was no problem and I received shipping confirmation a day later.

When the tank arrived, the fittings were not exactly positioned where I had asked which required a small change to how I routed my vent. It isn't a huge deal, but it was frustrating. They also forgot to add the O-Ring to the inspection port. Another small annoyance is their instructions say not to use any kind of sealant on the fittings, but I could not get them to seal. I ended up using Hercules Megaloc sealant on the suggestion of a fellow member which solved the problem. View attachment 36589

Thanks so much for the info./confirmation on the B192 and the picture is great. I too am going to stay with the current location and make it work. The rest of the plumbing in the boat is new along with the head, so hate to throw all that away in relocating the tank to the v-birth.

Sounds like I'll have to spend some time with Ronco to get it right and watch the details. thanks again

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Here's my order form with the sketch. The issue I had was the position of the inlet. They did not lower it enough to clear the vent. I resolved it by installing a 90 and looping it back over the top of the tank. Hopefully it can make it a little easier for you.

Attachments

• Ronco Plastics Order Form.pdf
    93.1 KB · Views: 21

Cory B

Sustaining Member
We replaced our old holding tank a few years back with a new Ronco tank, same location. They did have a mixup on the fittings sizes (0.5" vs 1.5" ???), but when I pointed it out, they made me a new one that was correct. They were easy to work with and stood by their work.

One thing to note, they normally do their holding tanks in black. I asked for white (like the original) so that I could see how full it was without needing a gauge or opening it up.

Disch

Here's my order form with the sketch. The issue I had was the position of the inlet. They did not lower it enough to clear the vent. I resolved it by installing a 90 and looping it back over the top of the tank. Hopefully it can make it a little easier for you.
thanks for the sketch, i'll use this when ordering my tank. I noticed that your vent port was .75" Dia, where my current tank is .625" Dia.. I'm trying to determine if the vent on the hull is .75" Dia or .625"? I can always pull it apart to verify.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
It is 5/8, but I'm replacing everything so I sized up to 3/4. I would have liked to go to 1" but I couldn't fit it through the hole in the bulkhead with the outlet house, water lines, and electrical. I could have run it along the inlet house, but I'm trying to hide as much of the plumbing as possible. Hope that helps

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It is 5/8, but I'm replacing everything so I sized up to 3/4. I would have liked to go to 1" but I couldn't fit it through the hole in the bulkhead with the outlet house, water lines, and electrical. I could have run it along the inlet house, but I'm trying to hide as much of the plumbing as possible. Hope that helps
You need a small rotary rasp bit set. Cheap at Harbor Freight and other places-- https://www.harborfreight.com/high-...LpTaZvZjSAHUB83n04D5XnAixh-MOnCoaAtc1EALw_wcB

Use a smaller portable drill motor. I had to widen out all the holes for hoses when I replaced the bilge and vent hoses. Also have a small diameter drum sander attachment to finish up with. Wear Eye Protection.

Have a vacuum handy also.

All part of the fun of upgrading an older boat! :)

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Loren,

The rasp and drum sanding attachments is great advice and exactly what I used on the holes leading into the head. However, the passage between the holding tank and cabinet is constrained by the hull and the cabinetry in the head. I was able to ease the corners with a small belt sander (great tool BTW), but enlarging this passage isn't an option on the 35-3.

Chschaus

"Voila"
Thank you for the info and drawings! I'm in the process of replacing mine now. The original tank has two outlet ports, one for pump out and one for offshore discharge, did you eliminate the manual discharge?

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
No, I used a T fitting (would have been better to use a Y fitting) after the outlet hose passed through the bulkhead because there wasn't enough room in that area. I used two valves that allows me to select the source (head or tank via whale hand pump and the outlet y) and the outlet (tank or overboard) 20201227_150051.jpg
20210227_122333.jpg

Chschaus

"Voila"
No, I used a T fitting (would have been better to use a Y fitting) after the outlet hose passed through the bulkhead because there wasn't enough room in that area. I used two valves that allows me to select the source (head or tank via whale hand pump and the outlet y) and the outlet (tank or overboard) View attachment 40405
View attachment 40406
Thanks, I am sooo not looking forward to this. I'm assuming you cut that access? Unfortunately I discovered the leak in my tank after I replaced the sole on the boat, kicking myself for not replacing all the plumbing while the floor was ripped out. Not that any of this is under the floor, but the leaking has affected the new team and holly Live and learn.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Yes, I didnt have much of a chance to get all that stuff in there without an access cutout. I'm still working through the last of the water ingress before I think about tackeling the cabin sole. Always looking for inspiration if your up to posting pics of the new cabin sole.

Chschaus

"Voila"
Yes, I didnt have much of a chance to get all that stuff in there without an access cutout. I'm still working through the last of the water ingress before I think about tackeling the cabin sole. Always looking for inspiration if your up to posting pics of the new cabin sole.
I will soon, there are a couple of threads with a lot of info I wish I saw before starting the sole project.

Chschaus

"Voila"
I just ordered the new tank and will probably start the replacement after they pull the boat for the winter. I'm having trouble seeing exactly what is holding the tank in place, I see a board on top that seems like I can unscrew it and open up the area above the tank but can't see any anchors.
could you shed some light on this aspect of the replacement project?
Thanks
Chris

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
No anchors on the old tank or the new one. There was some blocking below it that provided a platform for it to rest on. The board above provided some clamping pressure, but it was pretty loose. To remove the tank, I flushed everything the best I could, cut the outlet hose at the bulkhead and plugged it with a bung and hose clamp, unscrewed the board above the tank, disconnected the vent hose and inlet hose, and pulled it out with the small stub of the outlet hose still attached (and plugged!). When I installed the new one, I did a few test fits to see where the blocking contacted the tank. I screwed and glued some rubber strips on those areas to provide some friction and padding. I did the same on a new board I made to fit the top.