• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Honda Generator Question

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
I recently was offered an unused Honda generator for Discovery (1983 E30+) and hence this question;

What would I do with it and where and how would I install it on an E30+?

Those of us who own E30's know there is not much space on these old girls.

Of course this question then aligns with what are we going to need power for except to recharge batteries or run auto-pilots for extended periods.
Or
On the other hand, this could open up a Pandora's box to new electronic gadgets, who knows the web we weave.

Anyway, space and installation are the main questions before I graciously accept the generator.

Mark "Souleman" Soule

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hi Mark,

By Honda generator, I assume your talking about one of their older smaller models, which I’ve used on my E32-II in years past.
4D449DFC-19DB-46AC-AD38-8218553E2E27.jpeg

Back then, in the 70’s, I too was keen on creating a permanent spot for it - but later decided against it. The amount of actual use VS times needed at anchorage instead of being in a marina just didn’t balance out the loss of usable and always needed storage space.

Additionally, the complexity of locating that perfect spot AND figuring out how to plump in the critically needed exhaust system was too monumental.

We simply stowed it and would set it on deck when using it. As quiet as these critters are - they are still annoying to listen to by us (and others in an anchorage). Another problem of being on deck was soot from the exhaust getting on the decks.

Now in my mid 70’s, our cruising usually means leaving a sunset (wine & cheese) anchorage for overnight visits to reciprocating yacht clubs or marinas with all the conveniences. I opted for an AC powered air conditioner which is more valued on a hot summer night.

I certainly don’t want to discourage you - but DO give it some serious thought of the advantages and disadvantages (not to mention access and servicing issues).

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hi Kapnkd,

Yours is the kind of advice and experience I need and appreciate.

Thank You

More than welcome. ...I’m sure others will respond to you with advice and experiences as well.

That’s the beauty of this site in an ability to get first hand “been there done it” accounts.

Good luck with your decisions going forward and if you do install it, please write about it with photos for us as well. :egrin:

Fair Winds!

Navman

Member III
Mark,
This is where we stow our generator. I made a platform in the aft storage area beneath the helm seat. I just bring it out, set it on the port coaming in the cockpit and secure it to the push pit rail. I also put a piece of carpet under it to protect the coaming. The generator is well aft, so noise is minimal and the exhaust blows aft as well. 1 hour a night is all it usually takes with no solar. It keeps the batteries topped off and allows the refirgerator/ freezer to run all night along with anchor lights pressure water pump etc. Works great for us. Good luck with whatever you devcide.

Attachments

• IMG_0642.JPG
    IMG_0642.JPG
    287.5 KB · Views: 11

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Actually, I am more convinced than ever to install 2 flexible solar panels on the Bimini. These will maintain dual batteries draw down from chartplotter, auto-pilot, VHF, and navigation and salon lighting.

Mark "Souleman" Soule

Navman

Member III
I am making the frame for my solar install this weekend. Took final measurements last weekend while anchored in the Corsica River. I am getting 2, 200 watt ridged panels. That ought to do the trick. I am still going to keep the generator on board as a back- up for those consecutive cloudy days.

eknebel

Member III
I use a Honda eu2000i on occasion for running ac at anchorage, originally purchased for home use after hurricane Isabel. I store it on a shelf added to the stern port lifeline stanchions. At around 45db, you can't hear it from 2 boat lengths away. Below with the music on a gentle level, it is not noticeable.
I never store it or gasoline below. There are numerous articles describing the requirements and dangers, and how to's. The stern is where the tanks for a gas stove could go, so that area could maybe be modified, but little room back there. And it would have to come out to get to the rudder quadrant. As you said, not enough space. Have a CO meter installed wherever you have it, not bad idea to have anyway in crowded anchorages.