• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How are the deck hand grips (wood) attached to deck?

LeifThor

Member III
Are they straight screwed in or machine screwed with nuts, which would be inaccessible with the fiberglass inner shell?

i’ve got some deck flex that I think is due to possibly these. having said that though the deck on top of the cabin is the area with the least if none deck flex on the boat.

if they are directly screwed in I can just pop off that wood cap over the screw head and unscrew the whole thing and then reseat it.

1972 E

please only respond if you know and have direct experience with this part on Ericsons. Thanks:)

Attachments

• DC0C7A98-6AA6-4409-B2DA-AF2F7517810D.jpeg
    DC0C7A98-6AA6-4409-B2DA-AF2F7517810D.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 14

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Nomenclature question. Are you referring to the teak hand rails on your cabin top?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am. Sounds like we've both done a fair bit of refitting on our boats. Did you have to pull yours off at any point?

At some... point.. yes. In prior years I did refinish, tediously, the original teak hand rails. I never tried to remove them in the past, but rather did the sanding and refinishing in place. A job I hated. As a part of the re-fit, I had new SS ones built. Love them! A lot. With enthusiasm.
:)

I sold the OEM Ericson teak rails to another owner, for spares in case he decides to replace or refinish his.
Some of our adventures here: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/ubs/deck-handrails-casting-procedure-page-2.807/

Last edited:

Gaviate

Member III
So I'm not sure what size vessel you have but judging from photo in post, its not a E27.
On my boat, I did remove the teak handrails for refinishing and re-bedding. They are installed with machine screw through to washer, nut on interior. Mine are accessible via snap in plugs fit into oversize holes in inner shell. Other deck hardware, which is also thru-bolted, has access provided in the same manner.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Looks like an Ericson 35-2. Do you have handrails on the interior on the boat?

hjohnson

S/V Sagres
Ours are through-bolted to matching rails on the interior of the boat. The latter were added when our E27 did a Anacortes->San Francisco trip on her own bottom.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Are they straight screwed in or machine screwed with nuts, which would be inaccessible with the fiberglass inner shell?

i’ve got some deck flex that I think is due to possibly these. having said that though the deck on top of the cabin is the area with the least if none deck flex on the boat.

if they are directly screwed in I can just pop off that wood cap over the screw head and unscrew the whole thing and then reseat it.

1972 E

please only respond if you know and have direct experience with this part on Ericsons. Thanks:)
On our ‘73 E32-II, the teak hand rails were but simply threaded into the cabin top.
Around 2015, we went with the PlasTeak rails out of Ohio and then through mounted to the inner cabin liner. …First - we oversized the holes, filled them with glass & resin, then redrilled to the correct size and thoroughly bolted all the individual hand rail bolts securely.

They’ve served well with little or no upkeep and our method of sealing off the inner spaces of the cabin top have kept the boat dry.

Attachments

• 62BBD314-28DF-4059-9A2F-84C05DD2DA37.jpeg
    62BBD314-28DF-4059-9A2F-84C05DD2DA37.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 256B4605-5272-4E98-834E-F295D4A81086.jpeg
    256B4605-5272-4E98-834E-F295D4A81086.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 15

ttt

My 1974 E27, like hjohnson, has matching rails on the interior. Unlinke hjohnson, the two were not through bolted together. A large stainless wood screw maybe 6" long screwed from the outside rail into the interior rail. upon removal (probably about 10 years ago now), the screws were badly corroded and most broke off on removal attempt. I replaced them with phosphor bronze of similar size during re-install.