• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

how big of a 4-stroke do I need?

For my cheeky little E26? Paper says it displaces over 5000 lbs, but when it was weighed to see if the yard could use the smaller crane for it, it weighed around 4400.

thanks in advance !

p.s. entire cabin has been repainted, wood striped inside and out and 4 new coats of varnish applied. Painted hull yesterday, going back this afternoon to do a second coat. Fiberglass, gel-coat, etc. etc.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Motor Size

Creamy~

My opinion is that you should have at least an 8 hp or larger. A lot of it depends on when and where you will go out sailing. If you go out in very windy conditions or have a stiff current, the more the merrier. I have a boat with similar a displacement and I have a Mercury 8 hp 2 cycle. I was in 30-40 mph winds this past weekend and I used all of my motor to move into the winds and waves. Im inland in Wisconsin and the waves/chop were only 4 footers. I do not know what it would take to deal with 12 footers. this question has been asked before and I think 8-15 hp will provide your needed requirement and safety.

u079721

Contributing Partner
The "rule of thumb" for displacement sailboats is supposedly that you need one horsepower for every 500 lbs of displacement. Not sure how that relationship works at the lower end with outboards, but most boats today seem to come with more HP than this rule would indicate. You're more likely to find a 40 HP engine on a 16,000 38 footer than a 32 HP for example.

Based on that I would suggest a 9.9 or 10, long shaft. If you don't cruise much, I bet you would be satisfied with an 8, but I would like the extra power for when things go to hell and you're trying to make it back to the slip during a thunderstorm.

sleather

Sustaining Member
The Yamaha High Thrust series would be perfect for your application! They're geared and proped for low speed power. Hardly any difference in weight between the T8 and T9.9 so the 9.9 would be my recommendation. Also, the 15 doesn't come in a long shaft(25") version. I've got a Honda 8 on my 23 and it's about perfect for "my" boat.

steven

Sustaining Member
I re-powered my prev. boat - a Hunter 27 - from an awful 1-banger diesel to a Yamaha T9.9 with a long shaft. Led all the controls - starter, shift, throttle - to the cockpit. Was fantastic. Quiet, smooth, not smelly, easy start - and very reliable. The hunter displaced 7000# (maybe less without the diesel). The T9.9 didn't break a sweat pushing me for hours at hull speed into a 20+kt headwind (which the 8hp diesel could not do).

--Steve

Dan Morehouse

Member III
I have a Honda four stroke 9.9 on a 23 foot sailboat, and the boat weighs 4500 lbs. This engine pushes me at hull speed on about 2/3 to 3/4 throttle in flat water conditions. When the wind and chop get honking, it takes all of the throttle to keep close to hull speed against it. I'm glad I got the 9.9 instead of the 8...especially since the weights are almost identical.

Dan Morehouse
1981 E-38 "Next Exit"

I agree with the high-thrust 8 or 9.9 motor. Aside from my Ericson, I also own a Pearson 26 (about 5300#), and it has a Yamaha 8 hp high-thrust long shaft. It's a terrific motor. I can reach hull speed at less than half throttle, and motor for hours and hardly burn any fuel. I think you'd be very happy with either one, but the extra hp with the 9.9 wouldn't hurt.