• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How much will I regret removing this? [32-3 V-Berth Lockers]

Filkee

Sustaining Member
I’m trying to get at my forward water tank. I pulled all the screws and then realized there was 4200 or something in the seams. B4FE6AED-7094-4495-B5EC-65B1F8A7714A.jpeg

ddoles

Member III
If it really is 4200 it should come apart relatively easily. If its 5200 the bond is very strong and you could do some damage. I don't know that there is any way to really know until you try. 4200 should have been used since the screws are providing the bonding strength and the sealant needed only as a moisture seal. Using 5200 would have been a mistake since the bonding strength from the adhesive is not needed with all the screws. You'll know once you try.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The settee top over my saloon water tank is also screwed and bonded. I tried taking it off and decided it wasn't worth the mess.

The cover of my fuel tank is both screwed and then sealed "permanently" with fiberglass tape. That was a mess to saw away.

Seems that Bruce King, or somebody, wanted certain transverse furniture elements bonded and not removable.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Fein "Multimaster" (or one of the cheaper knock-offs) oscillating cutting tool, with the blade rather than the usual toothed saw shape. Use a firm but gentle touch, and take it slow. The sealant will sever cleanly, is my guess.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Yes, Fein multimaster very good. Marine DeBond also good, but smelly.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
I wonder if it’s even worth it to get to the tank? I could just pretend it’s not there and lead a quiet, happy life with my two functioning aft tanks.

Reactions: JSM

ddoles

Member III
The settee top over my saloon water tank is also screwed and bonded. I tried taking it off and decided it wasn't worth the mess.

The cover of my fuel tank is both screwed and then sealed "permanently" with fiberglass tape. That was a mess to saw away.

Seems that Bruce King, or somebody, wanted certain transverse furniture elements bonded and not removable.
On my E38-200 the top over my saloon water tank is screwed, but not bonded. It was quite helpful to be able to easily remove the top when installing a tank monitor. I suppose they ran out of adhesive in later years.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I’m trying to get at my forward water tank. I pulled all the screws and then realized there was 4200 or something in the seams.
The lid over my forward water tank is screwed down without any sealant (thankfully!). If you don't have to go in there to change a hose, fix a leak, totally remove the tank, etc., I'd leave that sleeping dog as is. ... nothing to see here, move along.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
On my 32-3 the tank is not there, it is under the next storage compartment forward. The bottom of the storage compartment is the top cover of the tank.

Geoff W.

Makes Up For It With Enthusiasm
Blogs Author
I started to take that off of mine when I was replacing my head hoses, but it ultimately seemed like I was going to destroy something in the attempt, so I stopped. I could access the forward water tank and the holding tank without taking it out.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Filkee - My boat is just a few serials from yours and I had to remove part of the panel to remove the waste tank. Don't plan to save the panel for re-installation. I used a multi-tool but next time would use a circular saw with the blade at barely less than the thickness of the panel. Just rip it right down the middle for most of the length and then use the multitool to be careful at the ends to not go into the fiberglass.
btw - In addition to the screws around the edge, there are fore-aft wood pieces supporting it.

Aft is to the right in this photo and left/port is toward the bottom of the photo.
20190125_174324-X2.jpg

windblown

Member III
On my 32-3 the tank is not there, it is under the next storage compartment forward. The bottom of the storage compartment is the top cover of the tank.
My 32-3 also has the forward water tank under the next storage compartment forward, but I have screws and sealant on that first compartment where you do, Filkee. The head holding tank is to the left, and accessible. I wonder what’s under that first section?

nquigley

Sustaining Member
My 32-3 also has the forward water tank under the next storage compartment forward, but I have screws and sealant on that first compartment where you do, Filkee. The head holding tank is to the left, and accessible. I wonder what’s under that first section?
I'm sure my forward tank is where yours is too - I haven't been up there in a long while, but I remember easily getting the lid off and seeing that tank.
Part of the space under that lid in the foreground of Filkee's pic will be occupied by the drawers, but I wonder what's to starboard of them (behind where his drill is sitting)?

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Wait, so consensus is that the water tank is NOT to starboard of the holding tank/drawers and is in fact further forward under the storage tub?